Should I trade my 85mm 1.8 D for the new G one?

allan_martin

<p>Hello!<br>

I've been presented with the opportunity to sell my 85mm 1.8 D for the same price as I would pay for a new 85mm 1.8 G.<br>

So basically money shouldn't come into question as my biggest effort would be having to negotiate and sell the D so I can buy the G.<br>

<br />So, do you think I'll get improvements? I mean, something noticeable? <br>

<br />I already know the G is kind of slower when AF but at the same time it has manual override and it's very quiet.</p>

<p>What else does the G has over the D?</p>

<p>Do you think it's worth it?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the opportunity to sell my 85mm 1.8 D for the same price as I would pay for a new 85mm 1.8 G.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As the G version becomes easier and easier to find, the price for the D should fall, as I cannot see why, for the same money, any one would get the D over the G version. Thus, if you have the chance, do so as soon as possible.</p>

<p>Well, someone on other forum said the D is softer, consequently for portraits or harsh light it would be better than the G.</p>

<p>Also, the same guy said the G had more bokeh fringing.</p>

<p>Those things make G sound less attractive if compared to the D.</p>

<p >How you guys feel about that? Anyone confirms?</p>

<p>Hi Allan, the benefits of the 85G are very noticeable. </p>

<p>The 85D does not have the super-integrated coating that the 85G has. In harsh conditions, the 85D is subject to major flare. The 85G has superior microcontrast which shows in the rendering of dark tones, and the falloff into shadows in face and hair features. </p>

<p>I think the bokeh on the 85G is better than the 85D -- good enough for high end work. If the 85/1.4G is slightly better, it's icing on the cake. </p>

<p>Finally, the 85G works very well in manual focus, whereas the 85D was pretty crude. </p>