Should I take my DSLR and lenses for 19 day trip to Australia & New Zealand

User_1891539

<p>We are leaving in three weeks for a 19 day trip with stops in California, a 7 day tour of Australia and a 12 day cruise from Sydney to New Zealand. The land portion has stops in Sydney, Alice Springs, Uluru and Cairns. The cruise has port calls in Melbourne, Hobart, Christchurch, Dunedin, Tuaranga and Auckland. We are also doing a layover in Los Angeles before departing to Sydney.<br>

And, as usual, I'm collapsing in my usual welter of indecisiveness as to whether or not to take my D70s and, if so which lenses. In the past, when I have taken the D70s, I have taken at least the 18-70 and 55-200VR, sometimes a 12-24. I also have the new 35mm 1.8 and and a 50 and the 28-105 from my film days. I have a G10 for walking around and my wife has a Canon 800SD, so I'm not sure that bringing the DSLR kit will be useful, especially as it is a lot of weight to lug through multiple airports and fit into a Think Tank Urban Urban Disguise 50.<br>

The other members of our traveling party are not photographers. On the other hand, it is the trip of a lifetime for us, and I don't want to be kicking myself later for not bringing the equipment that will get the maximum results.<br>

If anyone out there has done a trip like this, or something similar, I would like very much to get your thoughts on whether I should just bite the bullet and bring the DSLR and which lenses would be the most useful if I do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, I have heard on the news that in light of the latest attempted terrorist bombing on that flight last week, US security is not allowing you to carry much on with you, and in some cases nothing other than one bag that you can't have in your lap or with you during the flight. I personally don't like putting my gear in a carry on bag that's going up in a bin somewhere that might not be near my seat, but that's just me.<br>

If you do want to take some of your gear, I'd stick with the 55-200 VR and maybe the 18-70. If you have a lightweight tripod or monopod that you can put in your suitcase, it would be handy to have one along, although the VR on your 55-200 should help. I definitely wouldn't carry everything! Oh, and carry lots of memory cards, and something to back up your photos on.</p>

<p>or carry the dslr with the 35mm 1.8 only, and use it for both nice bokeh portraits, night shots and landscape views, i know its not super wide, but u'll probably be far back enough to take good pictures of any landscape at certain points in the trip. that would be a cool exercise in photo discipline.</p>

<p>If you can get one in time, I'd suggest the AF-S 18-200mm VR DX Nikkor lens and one 67mm polarizer filter for your trip. One camera, one lens and you have just about everything covered for your cruise and shore visits. [Also, less chance of dust if one lens remains on the camera.]</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>This is the time when you can feed your passion for photography, especially since the other people from your group are not involved in it! That means that you'll have great and unique opportunities to shoot... If I'd be in your place I'll consider a nightmare trip with no DSLR with me.</p>

<p>IMHO you have to take 12-24, 35/1.8 and 55-200. Or at least the 35/1.8 and the 18-70... Eventually a tablepod or no tripod at all in order to keep you lightweight. </p>

<p>I have serious problems with my back, my hip and my knee but I never travel without D5000, Nikon 10-24, Tamron 18-270, Nikon 35/1.8 or 50/1.4... </p>

<p>D70s, 12-24, 35 would be the minimum I'd take along - if there is still space, add the 55-200. Still a fairly compact package IMHO. Certainly a lot more capable than the G10. Whenever I decided to leave the "big guns" at home, I regretted the decision afterward. Are you planning on hauling a notebook along? Or another device to back up your images? Or plenty of cards to last you the entire trip? Don't forget the charger and a spare battery.</p>

<p>To much stuff is always a problem. I would keep it simple and light. I have a Crumpler 6million dollar home and it will only hold so much. I would limit my gear to what will fit inside of it, I would also want to have a mini tripod. I cannot tell you what to take however because I do not know what stuff you favor.</p>

<p>You will regret not taking the an SLR and a range of lenses. If I were taking that trip, I would carry two SLR bodies, a wide zoom, a telephoto zoom, a fast lens, and a monopod as a minimum. You say it's the trip of a lifetime.<br>

I would probably pack:</p>

<ul>

<li>D300 w/17-55</li>

<li>D700 w/17-35, 28-70, 70-200, TC-17</li>

<li>macro lens</li>

<li>flash</li>

<li>monopod</li>

<li>tripod</li>

<li>lots of memory, batteries, charger, polarizer</li>

<li>and probably a laptop.</li>

</ul>

<p>But that's me.</p>

<p>Since you are bringing your G10, you would have covered about 28-140mm so if you really want to bring your D70s, you may just want to bring either the 12-24mm and 35mm (if you shoot lots of wide) or the 35mm and 55-200mm. The other lenses seem to overlap too much with the G10.</p>

<p> Put me down on the "carry the DSLR" list. The ability to work rapidly is particularly valuable when with a group/tour. You can get more pictures without lagging and dragging. I would pare down considerably, to two lenses to avoid problems with carry-ons and the present situation with traveling. The suggestion to take an 18-200VR is a good one, though I might prefer the 16-85VR, specially if you take the 35/1.8 for available light. From your present quiver, I would consider the 18-70 and the 35/1.8. Highly portable, light and effective.</p>

<p>Well, Robert, how OFTEN do you plan to go to Australia? If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, you'd better take at last SOME of your gear with you.</p>

<p>Don't take TOO much gear. You don't want a bag that's too heavy. On the other hand, I'd rather struggle with a few extra pounds/kilos of baggage than regret not having a decent camera at my side when then magic happens.</p>

<p>I wouldn't miss a trip like that without my DSLR. Take the 18-70 at least, and the 55-200 if you can. That should cover the majority of your photos. You can bring the 35 1.8 if you want to have a smaller less obtrusive package, but that lens may only get used for 5-10% of the photos, so you have to decide if it's worth taking up space and weight in your bag. The Canon G10 is, however, an excellent camera in its own right. And you wouldn't suffer just bringing that and traveling light. I would make sure to have a couple spare batteries on hand, and maybe invest in the Canon auxiliary wide angle lens for it. I have fantasies of traveling with only my little Nikon P6000. It takes outstanding photos up to ISO 400, and I am perfectly satisfied with it. It can also shoot RAW, those look better than the photos I got from my D70 in terms of overall detail. </p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>It is indeed the trip of a lifetime - yes, take your SLR gear. From what you have to select I'd take the D70s + 12-24mm, 55-200mm VR and the 35mm prime and your portable HD. </p>

<p>Others will differ but I'm one who doesn't mind fighting harder to get my images (i.e. lugging a bit of extra weight in order to cover all bases)</p>

<p>Enjoy your tour down under!!</p>

<p>For Sydney, Alice & Ayers Rock, your 18-70mm should be fine; for Cairns, it really depends on what excursions you will be doing. If you can take a waterproof P&S, you will have great fun on the Barrier Reef, assuming you go snorkeling. For all your port calls the same gear should suffice; however, for Dunedin, assuming you are going out to see the penguins or the albatross, a long lens (e.g. your 55-200 VR) would be very handy indeed. So one DSLR plus two lenses should see you through (along with plenty of memory cards, if you do not have any portable storage). But considering the price of memory nowadays, the weight of portable storage media is not worth it IMO. Avoid carrying too much - the airlines are getting really nasty and schlepping all that weight will not be fun.</p>

<p>I went to Australia back in 2002, and I too was at Sydney, Caines, Alice Springs and Uluru (Ayers Rock), plus other wildlife locations.</p>

<p>I bourght 4 camera bodies: Nikon F5, F100, and D100 plus my medium-format Contax 645 and a bunch of lenses from the 17-35mm/f2.8 to a 500mm/f4. Well, you get the picture, right?</p>

<p>Thank you all for your many suggestions. </p>

<p>The D70s will be in the bag with the 18-70, no doubt, along with the G10. The second lens will probably be the 55-200VR for the extra reach. I took the 12-24 to Alaska last year, but really didn't use it as much as I thought. I also reviewed the results from some other trips where multiple lenses were involved, and the 55-200 got most of the work. I think I'll throw the 35 in the bag as well.</p>

<p>I have an old Olympus Stylus Epic II. I'll bring it with a couple of rolls of film for the boat tour and/or rainy weather in New Zealand. </p>

<p>Now to find an SB-400 for a light weight pocket flash.</p>

<p>Howdy, I am from NZ. Back from a trip of Auckland, now I am in Wellington :D</p>

<p>I think an SLR would be ideal. So take that, I only have a D70 by the way. Tripod a must, get a short one there are ones that is about 35cm folded, great for dusk and dawn but for daylight and in summer in 3 weeks time light is not a problem to handhold. To me it is not the quality but actually getting a shot. Modern kit lenses are pretty dang good. Maybe just a flash for portraits.</p>

<p>12-24 I say not really unless you really into that lens, does require more work to use such a lens thou. I say the 18-70 and the 55-200 would be ideal. Don't bother with 28-105. Not sure about 35 or 50mm primes thou. This isn't a big city, you are not going to be handholding a FX camera with a prime lens and shoot everything, we just don't have that much infrastructure.</p>

<p>G10 for wife maybe.</p>

<p>From your list I take it you are not going to Queenstown and the Fiordland? That would the best or the best. If you have one area to visit NZ, go there. Short walks are good as well incl compatible for wheel chair access like Lake Matheson (from Franz Josef), Lake Tekapo (Tekapo itself), Fiordland (drive from Queenstown or Te Anau a bit closer) - Milford Sound cruise for not much - 2 or 3 hr trip etc.</p>

<p>www.doc.govt.nz</p>

<p>You don't really need big bags. One cam with one lens attached. One other lens in your jacket pocket.</p>

<p>Also dress for water. Today started raining again here, last few days were good thou, we are known to rain for Christmas even but this year was dry, Boxing Day half the country was wet thou. Sun lotion and insect repellant particularly if you go outside the cities.</p>

<p>Dunedin - there is larnach castle and there is the penguin area drive required. </p>

<p>Chc - dunno, Kaikoura north drive for whales. South to Queenstown and Fiordland. Lake Tekapo closer thou. Mt Cook likewise a bit further. </p>

<p>Auckland - dunno, we went for the Asian food, lol. Bridge quite a bit away from city unlike Sydney. Northcote by ferry or car is good for a shot at the bridge at sunset or just after it for the sky to get a bit dark. There is the end of the road there which also has a restaurant lookout point there or just go to the ferry station there and stick a tripod up. For the skyline of Auckland, go to Stanely Point (Devonport) it is a park there between some posh houses, stick your tripod there. </p>

<p>Sunset tend to be around 8.30pm with good photo's at 9.15pm for the sun to dark but not black. Sunrise I guess is around 6am ....</p>

<p>Tauranga not been.</p>

<p>My standard DSLR kit for travel is D70, 12-24, 18-70, and 28/1.8. The trick is that I keep ll of it in a Lowepro Sideline Shooter (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135109-REG/Lowepro_2011510_Sideline_Shooter_Camera_Beltpack.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135109-REG/Lowepro_2011510_Sideline_Shooter_Camera_Beltpack.html</a>) which makes it possible to carry it all day long without thinking about it. Perfect :-)</p>

<p>I've just come back from 3 weeks in New Zealand. Had a D700, an F5, six Zeiss lenses and a huge tripod not to mention a wife and two daughters under the age of three. Oh yes, and a Panasonic G1 and two lenses.<br /><br />Yes take your DSLR! Family duties did impede photography a great deal - inevitably - but there was still no way I would have gone with a P&S only.<br /><br />Although NZ is the most beautiful country I know you seem to missing a lot of the best bits on this cruise. As Ray said, Fiordland and central Otago are stunning but it seems you won't get close. If you spend enough time in Christchurch at least drive to the Banks Peninsula and see Akaroa.<br />I have some shots on my website:<br /><a href="http://www.jamessymington.co.uk/">http://www.jamessymington.co.uk/</a><br>

In terms of focal lengths the widest I found useful was 25mm (on FX) although I had wider and 100mm on the long end was as long as I needed there too.<br>

<br />Enjoy yourself!</p>

<p>Hi, Robert. Living in Australia I had the same problem fifteen months ago when planning a holiday in the States and Canada. I use a Canon dslr and took with me a 18-50mm Sigma, a Canon 70-200mm and my wife had a Canon sd800.<br>

On a 3 weeks holiday we always seemed to be on the move, and I found that 85 per cent of the shots were taken with the <a href="mailto:P@S">P&S</a>, with most of the others covered by the 18-50.<br>

When planning is is nice to want to cover every eventuality, but given the relatively short time you have in Australia, and the distances to be covered, I think you would be wise to travel light with one or two lenses covering the 18-200mm range, a light tripod and the 2 point and shoots.<br>

Whatever you decide upon, I know you will have a wonderful holiday and take many great photos.</p>

<p>Thanks again to everyone for their helpful insights.</p>

<p>Because (as I understand it) Qantas is rather strict with the 7 kg limit for carry-ons, I did a practice pack last night, using the Urban Stealth 50 bag:</p>

<p>D70s SLR with 18-70 mounted w/caps, hood, bag and filters</p>

<p>55-200VR with caps, hood, bag and filters</p>

<p>35mm f 1.8G with caps, hood, bag and filters</p>

<p>Memory cards: 4 Compact Flash (2x4G, 2x1G) 4 SD (2x8G, 1x 4G, 1x2G) </p>

<p>SB-600 with batteries and case (to be replaced by SB-400) </p>

<p>Battery charger for D70s</p>

<p>Canon G10 w/battery charger and electronic trigger</p>

<p>Canon 220EX with batteries</p>

<p>Nikon MC-DC1 and ML-L3 for D70s</p>

<p>AA battery charger</p>

<p>Ipod w/charger</p>

<p>Cell phone w/charger</p>

<p>Olympus Epic Stylus II w/ 3 rolls film 1x200, 2x400</p>

<p>Mini-tripod</p>

<p>Paperwork</p>

<p>Total: 5.95kg/13pounds</p>

<p>Since things always seem lighter on when outbound, a 1kg/2.2 pound margin of safety should provide a for an acceptable margin for error and avoid having to check the bag. Some stuff may come out of the bag (such as the 35mm) and a lighter flash will help reduce the weight.</p>

<p>Once again, my thanks to everyone. We have family, friends and co-workers who have visited Australia and/or New Zealand. They seem to be places that nobody who has been there didn't like, a rare thing indeed. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm just gonna say what I have learned over my life, not just with photography but life in general. And that is "It is better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it." Like having a spare tire along on a road trip.<br>

I realize you have some restrictions placed upon you that are out of your control. I would try to take everything I could ( I typically over-pack for everything though) and maybe make arangements to rent once there.<br>

Have a Great Trip!!<br>

wlt</p>