Should I Switch to Mac?

I think you will like the touchpad. Mine is set to select on click, which I find more precise than select on tap. The screen is very good, with a wide field of view. It is easily calibrated with a ColorMunki Display (or Photo), and seems to be stable.

In both Photoshop and Lightroom, the touch pad makes navigation very simple. Use one finger to move the cursor and select. Use two fingers to scroll the display, especially if in the magnified mode. Use two fingers to open or close the dust spotting tool, and probably others as well. Use three fingers to switch windows. It looks like you have the scroll bar. That is very useful, but takes a little time to master.

There is neither rhyme nor reason to the correlation between Windows and Mac control keys. Sometimes it's "Control", sometimes "Command". "Option" usually translates as "Alt", emphasis on "usually." The help file is as useless on a Mac as a PC, but any question you have will have a ready answer from other users.

I prefer to use an iMac for editing (with a Magic Pad, naturally), but a MacBook Pro makes a good travel companion with full capabilities.

Dave, from the time I first used a computer at work, it was a pc. I also had a pc at home. When my last one died a horrible death (totally beyond repair), I replaced it with a then new Lenovo, preloaded with that disastrous version of Windows. Shortly thereafter, I returned it, went to the closest Apple store and got an iMac. I've been quite happy in Appleland ever since. Whenever I've encountered a problem or didn't know how to do something, Youtube has been a wealth of assistance.

Thanks. It's going to be a big learning curve, but I'm looking forward to it. I have 33 years of PC stuff to unlearn.

I suspect it will not be as large a curve as you anticipate but if so, please let us know.

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

It's not so much the differences between the two operating systems as it is the apparent, but sometimes false, similarities.

I have used both, but was originally imprinted on Mac, so I find Mac OS smoother and more responsive. YMMV

If you use external hard drives, consider using NTFS file system. On the whole, it is more robust than HFS (Mac), and the data is easily used by both Mac and PC. I use software called "NTFS for Mac", which works in background, without any artifacts or loss of speed. The system disk and dedicated peripherals (e.g., Time Machine) should be native Mac format.