Should I switch from Canon to Nikon for weddings?

otto_haring

<p>Sunday morning I woke up with a thought that I should switch from Canon to Nikon and become one of the Nikonians. I am a wedding photographer and it is still early and I am kind of pissed! This is a bad start for a Sunday!<br /> <br /> It seems to me that Nikon cameras and also lenses outperform the Canon system. As a matter of fact, I have the top of the line gear; Canon 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200 2.8L, etc… AND I am not really impressed by the new Canon 5D Mark II either! It seems to me that Nikon cameras are much better (ALREADY!) and Canon is just catching up…. All the photographers I adore SEEM to have NIKON SYSTEM! <br /> <br /> Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to blame Canon for my pictures but it seems to me that photographers with Nikon cameras and lenses more easily create the unique special look (beautiful sharp, crisp, fresh images with dreamy look, and colors which pop!) on their images which distinguishes them from the REST of us.<br /> <br /> To be honest I am a bit hesitant to do it. Do you think it is ME or what? My site with all the pictures: "<a href="http://www.haringphotography.com">haring photography miami</a> " . Be honest! I am good with criticism. I need to find out! Please advise me! Has anybody actually changed after already having the top of the line Canon lenses? Was there an improvement? As you know this would be an expensive switch. Thanks! Otto</p>

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Honest to Canon, i would not switch, i have friends that are semi to pro wedding photogs, and theier is two guys that have the newere Nikon and I have yet to see any difference in between them, only money once you get into lens, dont get me wrong I like a Nikon , and if I ever start shooting bad weddings I would consider changing myself, I always get something and then think crap I should have bought better or different and in the end I just go with has worked, Im no super pro or anything but I sure get a lot of small work and I think style has as much to do with your shots as your equipment.</p>

<p>If someone put a series of photos together of the same subject in the same light photographed with Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, or Leica cameras, could people pick them out and identify which system shot which picture? I am willing to bet that the answer is "no." Could they even tell that there was a difference between the shots?</p>

<p>Otto I'm not a pro my self but I just can't see how one system can be so superior to the other. Like anything else each one has their pros and cons and that It's for you to decide which one better suits your stile. I highly doubt that if you migrate from Canon to Nikon or the other way arround your images are going to get better or worst (granted you are using comparable equipment) they right way (and that is the key word) right way.<br>

There are a few thing you could do as experiment. Go rent Nikon body and lenses and see it for your self. The other thing is to study the images of the photographers you adore and study their work and style. Some times the initial settings will make some difference and PhotoShop or the like will make a a tremendous difference regardless the camera. Lighting It's another huge factor, some of these pro's will make a point a shoot sing.<br>

I can't see the system being a fault here.<br>

Alex</p>

<p>Alex is right. If the equipment was to be blamed, either one would have closed-shop ages ago. One of the reasons I switched camp to Nikon is because of the CLS system. Canon only came out with similar system with the 7D. Ask what is it about Canon or Nikon or Pentax or Oly that you like and dislike - ergonomis/feel/layout/quick access/menu etc. Go for the one that suits you best. <br>

I believe all pro photographers have managed to adapt and make the best of the gear and not just long for what they do not have. Sure there will always be some that will switch camp due to some frustration or another. What frustrates me may not frustrate you. If in Canon camp, learn from other Canon users who have produced excellent pix.</p>

<p>Having looked at your website I think a lot of your images looks soft. You may have a focus problem with your equipment but regardless of that I think you are not maximizing the post production potential of your images. While Nikon puts their pro level AF both in their D300/D700 series and their D3 series focusing is likely much better than your 5D but apart from that I doubt you'll see much difference.</p>

<p>I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of attaching one of your images below. If you look at the original image you'll see that the focus is not on the brides eyes but somewhere close to her ear. That's about 2 inches off and this could be an equipment problem as well as a bit of focusing technique.</p>

<p>In the "after" image I applied some selective sharpening to her face and some selective brightning as well as a bit of saturation boost. I'm not sure what kind of images you are trying to create but crisp images that pops requries more post work and usually selectivly applied, for instance to enhance shallow depth of field.</p>

<p>So, why not have your equipment checked for focusing problems and maybe try to learn some more post production techniques before spending your cash?</p>

<p> </p><div>00Uxjf-188627584.thumb.jpg.613d2de2b1131fe9e932814aa8e73cb7.jpg</div>

<p>Suppose for a moment that this is true - that you can get much better photographs with the Nikon products than the Canon ones. The product line evolves constantly, so the current products have only been around a short time. The older products are different and (largely) not quite as good (I'm thinking of products like the D700 and 14-24, which are said to be better than anything Nikon has producted before). However, would you say that the world's best SLR photographs have all been taken in the past three years? No? So it's probably not the equipment then.</p>

<p>Both cameras Nikon and Canon have their good and bad things like everything else in life. It just depends what you like and what you can put up with. As far as lenses, Canon has some lenses that are far better then Nikons and some of the Nikon lenses are better then Canon's. It all comes down to personal preference. When I started out shooting weddings I bought a Fuji, a Nikon and a Canon and shot all three for a year because I had no idea which I would like.........after the year I sold the Nikon and the Fuji and now I only shoot Canon and never regreted it.</p>

<p>If you struggle to get good images with the gear listed then the reason is one of the three listed below:</p>

<p>1) faulty equipment (likely camera body)</p>

<p>2) unskilled in post processing</p>

<p>3) poor technique</p>

<p>My guess is that it is either 2 and/or 3. Your gear is capable of absolutely fantastic images if used correctly. By the way, the ring shot on your homepage is very good!</p>

<p>A few threads below yours is one from someone asking if they should abandon Nikon and move to Canon.</p>

<p>The blunt answer to both threads is 'no'. They're both excellent camera systems. If someone can't make one system work for them they won't be able to make the other work for them either. The 5D is an excellent camera - good enough for some of the leading lights in the industry. I'd suggest it's probably good enough for you too.</p>

<p>I'd be happy with either. I prefer to use Nikon, but that's only because I've used the system for long enough to learn the ergonomics. It's not that I think it's intrinsically better.</p>

<p>Otto,</p>

<p>Since you’re a professional earning your daily bread through photography, the decision

should be very straightforward.</p>

<p>How much additional income (after expenses, of course) do you anticipate generating using Nikon gear instead of Canon

gear? If it’s more than it’ll cost you to switch, then switch. If not, do it only if you can

afford the luxury and if that’s what you most want to spend your disposable income on.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine any scenario in which a switch in either direction makes sense, but that

doesn’t mean such scenarios don’t exist. Yours may well be one of them.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>I think that anyone that has ever taken a great picture would not credit the camera. The camera is only a tool. The person who said "Upgrade the photographer, not the camera" Hit the nail right on the head. Nobody could look at any picture and tell you what kind of camera took it. They may get as close as to tell you the rough focul length of the lens, but not which lens, or the model, and in some cases not even that. There are so many variables in a DSL camera, you could take the same picture with a 100 different settings and get 100 variations in the same picture. How well you know your camera will make all the difference in how good your pictures will be.</p>

<p>There might be a reason to switch systems, but what you have listed as a reason is more related to finishing of an image than to the camera system. Great images come from attention to all of the details, as well as the skill in actually shooting the image. Sometimes a great image will pop out of the camera, but more likely, it will take a photographer's skill in post to make and image sing. This has always been the case with photography.</p>

<p>Now, what was that old saying--The raw file is the score and the print is the performance--I know that is close, but........</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Are you using a UV filter? That could cause some softness. We shot with Canon gear for years and I always thought Nikon glass was sharper (we had a couple of other shooters using Nikon and one using Fuji). But Nikon used a CCD which wasn't great under low light. We eventually switched to the D300. During the course of the next year after the switch, we discovered how insidious the UV filter could be and no longer use them. I really wished I hadn't used them on our Canon lenses for a more accurate comparison. Had Canon introduced the 7D instead of, or at the same time, as the 50D, I am not so sure we would have switched as the 7D seems to have what I was always disappointed with: better AF system, better metering. We have both a Nikon D90 and a D300. I do NOT like shooting with the D90; there is a difference shooting with the D300. Much the same I would imagine of someone shooting with a 50D vs a 7D. Or a 5D vs the 7D since the 5D uses essentially the same metering/AF system as most other Canon cameras (with the exception of the top two bodies and the 7D). In the end, I still prefer Nikon's ergonomics, battery grips, and CWB is easier! But again, I am not so sure we would have switched had the 7D been available. And I know we would not have switched if the 5D had had Canon's bettering AF/metering system (the one found on their top two bodies). Overall though I am happy with the switch and have no reason to consider another switch.</p>

<p>I'm with Pete on this one. I've seen your portfolio, and despite the good images you have there, some of them are out of focus. Especially the first ones, it is very noticeable, and it seems that you have applied clarity to try solving that issue.</p>

<p>The gear you have is capable off very great results, better then those you're having I might say - so maybe there is a focusing issue on 5D or maybe technique since you're working with large apertures (you have to be carefully on selecting focus and re-compose the frame.</p>

<p>Also the post-processing images isn't working as it was supposed to. I suggest you invest in editing workshops, or search along in the internet about working with different layers.<br /> That been said, there isn't a matter of Canon vs Nikon, I can assure that. Both Canon and Nikon bottom of lines products are capable of getting great results. In top of line, there are a few differences between brands BUT never regarding the IMAGE QUALITY per say.</p>

<p>Cheers<br /> Andre Ferrari</p>

The general consensus is to stick with what you've got and make it work rather than switching entire systems, especially given the lens investment you've made (excellent glass). Maybe you were just having a bad day? ;-) I would also agree, after having looked at your website, that most of your images are soft, and disturbingly so. I'm not sure if it's because of pre-capture technique or something you're adding in post-processing. Soft focus works for some shots but when every other shot is soft, hmmm...

<p>First of all, there is no place on the map called 'The Artitic'. You have a large number of spelling errors and bad HTML conversions on your site that will definitely turn away the high-end customers you are trying to hook.</p>

<p>As to switching, I say NO WAY! I use Nikon, but I think the 5D is a great camera. I have certainly seen a number of very good images made with it. Some of the images on your site are quite good, but I agree you need more PP skills, and a faster shutter speed in a number of cases. Motion blur/camera shake seems to be a real problem for you, which is a shame, because you have a good eye.</p>

<p>I am having both Nikon and Canon (D300 and 5D MK II) . Both are great camera. I just got 5DMKII because I like the Canon color reproduction and color separation which I was not able to get it from Nikon. May be I am not that much expert in post processing. Canon Lens is much cheaper and wide range . Hadling wise both are fentastic. Canon you can handle all the day. But Nikon with 70-200 AF-s Vr and D300 is too heavy to carry around . Keep Canon also . For CLS of Nikon buy one Cactus Wireless trigger and use Nikon Falsh. Both gives fentastic results , if processed properly.</p>