Should I Sign My Prints

For the last couple of years, I have been signing and dating my prints using

photoshop's Text Layer option and using a font that I really like. The font

looks very similar to how I really sign my name. I use a small font and a

color which will distract as little as possible. I rarely see others sign

their work. Is there an unwritten rule against this? Let me know what you

folks think.

-ron

I don't do digital -- so perhaps my view is irrelevant. I never touch the print itself with pen or pencil. I always -- always -- sign the board on which the print is mounted just below the print itself. I always use a "window" matt, an overlay which allows the viewer to see the full print and about 1/8th of an inch around --including my signature. I always use a sharp number 3 pencil, so the singature is not dark enough to distract. One man's way of doing things.....

Hi Ron,

Why are you using photoshop as a signature? Like the 2nd poster, I don't do digital either

so maybe I just don't understand this concept. I make things with my hands and sign my

name with my hand too. Otherwise it just feels like I'm making a high end poster, and if PS

is utilized to sign your name that's basically the look and feel you're going to achieve. If I

were to purchase a print, I would want someone to use their hand when signing their

name instead of a keyboard.

Zoe

<>Frankly I never understood why anyone would sign the mat -- unless of course they

personally made and cut the mat and proud of that fact.</i><p>

LOL! <p>

Gee, I feel strange about even signing a check for the same reason!

Traditional prints made via lithography or pulled from etched plates are usually signed just below the image area on the paper. Often the name of the work is written there, as well as the edition number. I like to print my photographs centered on the paper with a wide border. An 8x12 image is printed on 11x14 paper while a 6x9 image is printed on 8x10 paper. They're signed just below the image.

Probably 99% of my shots have no writing, however, now and then I will add a substantial frame on the photo through Photoshop, and add within that frame in a not too distracting color, the name I've given to the picture and in smaller type, my name. Lot's of folk don't even like naming their work, but I think it sort of finishes the image -- I don't do this unless I really think the picture is special and I guess it's pride I am expressing in those cases. One percent doesn't show much pride, does it? Ah, well...

IMO, a good digital image is still a hand-made thing. "Signing" it using an image processing program is, to me, just the same as thumping it with a rubber stamp. A signature should be done by hand. I prefer the above method of signing on the window mat, or on a wide border outside the actual image, but obviously the ink and pen should be chosen carefully in that case. Signing the mat avoids ruining the print if the signature doesn't go as planned. Be sure to sign all your work if you're going to be famous someday ;-)

• 5 years later...

<p>I know this is an old thread, but just in case you are still wondering...I sign my prints via Photoshop. Always in the lower right corner, out far enough to not be covered by the matt, and I fade it so it is 'just' able to be seen. I don't use my whole name, but only first and last initials. This is also my logo. I like the way it's always consistant.<br>

Just my way.<br>

Cheers! </p>