Should I sell my SWC to get a M8?

justin_ng1

In the past you have jumped from one thing to another quite often, so probably wouldn't have any regrets in making the change. I'd say, if you are sure about not connecting with the SWC, I agree with getting rid of it. As for buying the Leica M8, do research the problems people have reported and make certain you are comfortable with its issues before committing your money. Personally, I'd do it, but I do tend to stick with my gear for long periods, and am satisfied with the digital technology for my work at the time of introduction of the M8.

I checked eBay; there seems enough value in the SWC. If you are sure you won't warm up with it: Sell it!

M8: I like mine. I use it quite a lot on my job; table top product shots. - Yes, this sounds a bit odd; a RF maybe isn't the most ideal camera for that kind of work but my 50mm Summicron is a great lens, the products are usually big enough to fill my frame, the Leica handles better than a Samsung with macro lens and the results look quite pleasant (at base ISO with flash). + Moderate file size was requested.

The M8 has limitations. The "coffee stain" issue is a bit annoying. Image review isn't lightning fast. The rear display is squintier than more contemporary ones. The shutter rewinding feels noisier than my 5D's and the camera would benefit from direct access to the ISO setting or an option to dial your uncoded Leica lens in or 16 Bit RAWs that would give another f-stop of high ISO performance.

Let's say the M8 is maybe no longer an entirely "serious" digital camera in 2017. Cranking the ISO above 640 is a desperate move, so it is a bit limited indoors or with low light.

OTOH: the few MP do well enough on a 4K screen (if that is your medium to enjoy images on), The IR option seems fun to try.

I bought the M8 used for toe dipping purposes, while still pondering my Monochrom, as a makeshift backup for it and for convenience's sake since I think if a next grandma in law demands color; I'll be able to deliver such too, without lugging a different system with bulky lens line around. - I confess: I fell for the M8, back when it came out and must have suffered from various holes in my pocket in between... Warning on the side: the original M8's shutter was sometimes not as reliable as expected. - Let's look & see when mine will fall apart.

The prices in front of me look as if your SWC might buy an M9 too? Are you sure to desire the 1.33x crop?

• Like 1

You'd be going from an AMAZING camera to an 'at best', a mediocre *roll-of-the-dice piece of equipment.

Most all Pre-Owned Leica M9 units, have been improved from their issues & still have marketability.

IMHO, you're throwing good money after bad; go the little bit extra to acquire one of these improved M9's.

*Paper weight potential

• Like 1

The advice on all forums regarding gear is to buy the latest and the greatest. .That simple.

Name any camera and I will find on the web horror stories about it...yes, and the M9. Name the camera.

I have a M8 and do not have any "horror stories "to tell....Leica have a strong following of "haters" as they see it as a boutique camera just for folk who are into branded designer nonsense with too much money in their pockets. Leica is a business and are very happy to take their money.

The M8 is a crafted built camera and a pleasure to use.

Ps it also takes great photos technically or otherwise.

16931449097_719bbd88d4_b.jpgL1012677-Edit by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I have the M8, M9, and M Monochrom- use all three. Above shot is with my M9.

M8 prices are down, "M8RAW2DNG" makes the images better than ever. Look for one from a camera shop with a warranty, or for one with a return privilege. I like mine too much to ever sell it, no dead pixels and "just keeps working". I've had it for almost 8 years now.

The M8 is much better for IR work than any other Leica digital. For Monochrome conversions, many people seem to prefer it. I wrote my own DNG processor for conversions just to see how far the M8 and M9 could be pushed to match the M Monochrom. Got fairly close.

Leica M9 and M8 Monochrome Conversions

The CCD used in the M8 has a higher dynamic range than that used in the M9. M8RAW2DNG brings it out. The KAF-10500 has a higher saturation count than the KAF-18500. That, and 1/8000th top shutter speed- a good reason to keep it.

14963532980_e69e757f64_o.jpg135/2.8 Tele-Elmarit on the Leica M8 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Anyone who has owned an M8 for years has definitely gotten their money's worth out of it.

Someone buying a used one today needs to go into it knowing the risks typical of buying a 10-12 year-old digital camera that's not supported by the company that made it. An issue compounded by what it still costs to buy an M8 comparable to better spec'd used cameras one could buy used that are 3-4 years newer. The back LCD's are not replaceable if it should give up the ghost, and there are more than a handful of them floating around with LCD issues. No idea what else is not fixable at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's probably more than just the back LCD, but if you have the money, the desire and the risks by damned, then who's to argue the point?

Edited by Greg M

"considering is the A7RMK2 , but today I came across a YouTube video that mentioned some kind of corrosion issue related to the heatsink in the camera".

Hmm, when it comes out of guarantee very expensive repair .Lets go for honest, Sony are not the most enthusiastic when it comes to after sales service...they are all about moving boxes. That simple.

Sony support in 2 years time methinks not. Leica support their 10 year old M8...TODAY. Only the rear display ,they do they have not have parts for; but what Leica photographer needs it ?The coffee stain only effected a limited production.

The real world.

"Nearly 60 years ago, the US Navy launched Vanguard-1 as a response to the Soviet Sputnik. Six decades on, it’s still circling our planet"

Old time electronics still working in the harsh environment of space. Just have to wonder if "keep it cheap" electronics with a built in lifespan would be still working?

Moving boxes that's what its all about.Today.

Edited by Allen Herbert

@allen, after reading up on Wikipedia "Vanguard's solar cells operated for about 7 years" I can't get rid of the feeling it became an admittedly well placed cosmic paper weight pretty soon? or is there any proof of something still in working order aboard it?

I'm not sure how bad service support for the M8 is in total. About the coffee stain issue: Mine here is barely visible, only annoying if I am judging white details of an image and absolutely no obstacle with menu operation. As already mentioned: Even mint M8/9 display screens are a compromise. To me they seem way more usable than Coolpix 990's or *istD's but more recent digital cameras improved again in that field.

Bottom line @justin: sell the SWC for a good odd price and in doubt toss the smallest coin to make up your mind.

If I was a serious M8 shooter, I'd feel urged to get hold of an 28mm lens but I wouldn't fancy shooting that one on any other Leica M. That's the biggest drawback I see.

Collect your SWC $$s, look what (else) they'd buy and make up your mind. Grabbing something entirely different for casual digital and shooting your current Leicas on the side isn't better or worse than sticking to the M system on a low level; maybe just less post processing hassle? And wouldn't a different digital camera concept at least be more useful digitizing your film?

I knew engineers that worked on Vanguard.

I have two Pentium Pro tower computers, 20+ years old- work perfectly. I have two DSLR's that are older than those computers that work perfectly. My 1998 Micron Trek 2 laptops- 3 of the 5 original battery packs take 80% charges. There is a good chance that an M8 will last quite a bit longer. It's easy to make cheap electronic devices that will fail quickly, and expensive to make electronic devices that last a long time. Fabrication issues, such as the sealing on some of the LCD's cause unexpected problems. Chances are if it was going to fail due to a manufacturing defect in a parts lot, it would have surfaces by now. The real problem is the lack of replacement parts for a screen that has suffered a catastrophic failure. The repair, even if parts were available, would most likely exceed cost-to-replace.

In 1979 I bought a small Sharp calculator to help me calculate exposures for close-ups for a 5x4" bellows camera. I still use it because it doesn't get bored and turn itself off in the middle of a calculation interrupted by a phone call. That's very reasonable for a bit of electronics.

I am afraid I actually destroyed my oldest digital camera by inadvertently pouring coffee onto it.

if the SWC isn't grabbing you, that's what is important. The M8, as an older digital with potential issues, is living dangerously. Sometimes that's good.

Hmm, when it comes out of guarantee very expensive repair .Lets go for honest, Sony are not the most enthusiastic when it comes to after sales service...they are all about moving boxes. That simple.

That may be changing now that Sony is running in the middle of the big dog pack and gaining on the lead. They announced the formation of a Pro Services program at the same time as the A9 came out. There is a guaranteed 3 day service turn-around with service centers in Las Angeles and New York.

Digital cameras might break, but the electronics don't wear out. They become obsolete with respect to your competition, or if they no longer meet your needs. The MBTF for newer shutters is 500,000 clicks. I'm barely at 200,000 since 2003 (for all cameras), and shutters can be replaced in a week for about $500.

The M9 has good color too, more Velvia than Portra. The real niche for a rangefinder camera is wide angle and candids. A FF camera is a definite advantage in that regard, not to mention higher resolution. Regardless, it pales in comparison to the flexibility and performance of a modern mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (ILC). Image quality is not very good in the M9 above ISO 400, and focus is problematic the longer the focal length.

"That may be changing now that Sony is running in the middle of the big dog pack and gaining on the lead" Ed.

That maybe be true...but. how many variations of the A7 range will they continue to support? Lets be honest a new a7 comes out every 4/6 months Another thought how many pro's would change their DSLR for one of the many variation's of Sony a7's? Looking at the latest stats very few it would seem. And then Sony might get bored with the whole thing as not enough coin is dropping in their laps. Then we have some nice doorstop cameras

Meanwhile the Leica M range keeps plodding on and on.

Just a thought Leica lenses work a lot better on a Fuji than a Sony A7..... .used both.

Edited by Allen Herbert