Should I sell my Nikon FM2?

bernie_.

Hello

Since I have my M6 classic and the Summicron 50mm I rarely shoot with my FM2. I tend to think that my

M6 is my "people camera" and my FM2 is my "landscape camera", merely because I always use it with the

24mm f2.8 AI-s and filters. But I think I can do the same buying the Elmarit 24mm. Maybe It's hard to use

filters with the M, but I can live without them. I'm thinking about selling all my SLR equipment (FM2,

50mm AI-s, 24mm AI-s and filters, not much at all) and start to save for the 24mm or the Voigtlander

25mm...

What do you think?

Thank you in advance

A few years back I stood at a specialty photo shop counter with the owner and had the same

conversation, going from film to digital. I think you should weigh the personal value of your

FM2, whether still being used or not, against the dollars it would bring toward the Elmarit

24mm. Though the market for film bodies is depressed, your AI-S lenses could probably still

bring good money, since they could be compatibly mated to a number of DSLRs. Some of the

filters are probably more limited in saleability, since so much can now be done through post

processing. (I see mostly use of split field ND and polarizers on the Web lately.) If I were

trying to sell an FM2 body I'd do it in a place like Photo.net classifieds where people who

value these high quality film bodies would shop. Trading it would hit the price pretty hard.

Why is is hard to use filters for an M? A polariser is the only one because of the filter size.

CV 25mm is a more than decent lens and takes the small filters like most 50`s, 39mm. If

you have the 1989 or newer 50 mm, the CV25 will not match it ultimate sharpness. Any

privious versions will.

AI-s lenses can be used on digital Nikons. I have bought a few recently.

i would just buy the CV25 and not sell a thing.

I sure wouldn't sell my pair of FE2s, my 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor, or any other Nikkors. I use them side by side with my Leicas, M and R. They may not be in use for periods of time, but their day always comes again--even though I have a Leica R outfit as well.

First of all, the market for used Nikon SLR equipment is about as healthy as the sub-prime mortgage market! I have gone through the same excercise re: my F3HP with 20, 50 and 180 lenses -- and come to the conclusion that I might as well keep them for occasional use & many great memories. But if any LF member wants them at a great price. . .pdn42@optonline.net<div>00NJ26-39778684.jpg.8bfbbca6be39862ed7ef2a67963c5be8.jpg</div>

Keep it with a 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor.

I often go out with a 105mm on a Nikon and a 35mm on a Leica M6, and each system is just right for those focal lengths.

I have the near perfect 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit M for my M6, but the 105mm on a SLR is a joy to use. Composing is fast, depth of field can be seen in the finder and focusing is a snap on a SLR in this focal length range.

Besides... you already have it, so just keep it.

I use M's most of the time, so my F2's sit idle most of the time. But there are times the SLR will do the job better, so I've decided to keep them around and not sell them; though it has crossed my mind a few times when I want to buy new equipment it just wasn't worth it to sell. The CV lenses are a great value, but if you must have the Leica just save a little longer. The sale of your FM2 will not speed you much closer to the Leica 24mm than saving for another month.

Um, Trevor ... that's a 50mm f1.4 on your FM3A ;)

Seriously, I've had Nikon FMs all my photographic life, that being almost

40 years. The latest being a black, FM2N aka "The Tank." It's as durable or more so than a Leica RF, lightweight, and has higher shutter speeds.

Not as quiet but not a concern for me. It'll take a much wider range of lenses than a RF too. It's a tradition. Keep it and use it. (But that doesn't mean to the exclusion of Leica RFs.)

It's as durable or more so than a Leica RF, lightweight, and has higher shutter speeds. Not as quiet but not a concern for me. It'll take a much wider range of lenses than a RF too

But it's just not as pretty. And hey,let's not forget the fondle factor.

In the real film world the bargain of the century is the F100.<div>00NJPG-39785784.jpg.6ca61ee3f893492a84ceb5d58bda5a59.jpg</div>

Don't sell the FM2 give it to some family member, Paul is right prices ain't what we think film cameras are worth. An F5 in ex+ is at best $500 and thats one of the premier slr of all time.

I would get and did get a Zeiss ZF Biogon 25mm f2.8. Zeiss says its capable of 400lpmm the highest ever measured of any lens Zeiss ever tested. Cheaper than the Leica too. Of course you may need to get a Voigtlander 25mm shoe mount viewfinder for framing. This lens will make you forget the Nikon 24mm which is a medium performer in the view of the experts (Bjorn and Photozone.de), go look for pictures made with it on flickr.

Thank you very much for all your responses. This is a great forum. Well, I'm going to shoot

again with the FM2 to reanimate this old camera. It's a fantastic body, but I have a real

problem with the "blind" moment when the mirror slaps.

Thanks again.