Should I keep my 50 1.8 II lens?

robert_thommes1

<p>I know that your first response will be "yes. Since it's so inexpensive, why sell it." I have a very capable Tamron 28-75 2.8 that is actually very decent wide open 2.8(which is where the 1.8 lens needs to be to do as well). But, more important than that is the fact that with 2 lenses having the same focal length, I would need to make decisions as to which to use(which I don't like having to do), and would likely pick the zoom for it's versatility over the prime anyway. So, based on this comment, my decision has been made. However, should I be looking at any other reasons as well before parting with my 50 1.8? Is there some way that the prime can fill a void that I am not aware of right now? All too often I've gotten rid of lenses only to repurchase another for whatever reason. So I want to be sure that I want to keep it or set it free before acting on that. Thanks</p>

<p>I'm not really saying that. I would keep it, but then I'm not the sort of person who stays up nights worrying about what lenses I have, if I have to many, if I have enough and if I have the right ones. I think you probably are, so you may well be better off ditching it and have one less decision to make, which you say is a problem for you.</p>

<p>50 1.8 resale value so low as to be a non-issue. (do you really need the extra pocket change)? recommend putting it away and pretending you sold it. that way, should you need a fast prime, or want to do low dof work, or want to try an extension tube + 50mm lens combo, or need to shoot in 'available darkness', or... whatever, you'll have the 50 1.8 laying around gathering dust<br>

and, since you are pretending you sold it you will no longer be torn as to which lens to use.<br>

i suppose if you were talking about a 50 f 0.95 you wanted to sell so you could buy a used porsche things would be different. but, selling the 1.8? who has the time/energy?<br>

(by the way -- a prime and a zoom that covers the same focal length are not redundant)<br>

ps -- learning how/why/when to use primes is very valuable (if) you want to improve your photography.<br>

pps -- learning how/why/when to use primes can also be of little use -- it all depends</p>

<p>I enjoyed my 50mm 1.8 until it took a small fall. Bad news. It fell apart , attracted dust, lost the red dot and has never been the same. Cheap is right but, it worked well. I then purchased a 50mm 1.4 and i use it often. Super in low light conditions, much better build and very fast. My suggestion is to keep it and don't drop it.</p>

<p>How about the issue of size. Sometimes its fun to go out with just a small prime and 1 1/3 stops is a lot when you need it. FWIW I own 4 primes all in the focal range of my zooms but thats me, I think Bob has a point, you seem to really worry about this judging from your past posts. If it bothers you that much and you don't want it dump it or upgrade to a 1.4. </p>

<p>[[The fewer you own the less worrying you will do]]</p>

<p>Even a casual reading of the OP's posting history proves this to be completely wrong. This is someone who's only goal in life is to worry about photography equipment.</p>

Reasons to hold onto a 50 f/1.8 prime when you already own an f/2.8 zoom covering that focal length:

1) You have a backup camera that you will sell one day soon (or pass it on down the family) and you might do better packaging it with your 50.

2) You have a child or other relative to whom you will lend an SLR from time to time and you don't want them using your more expensive f/2.8

3) You don't want to take your more expensive lens to the beach, the ski slope, out in the rain etc so you take the 50.

4) You remember that in a museum or a church or other low light venue you still need a flash more than you thought you would (and they are not allowed) so you are flad to have the 50 f/1.8.

5) You get better bokeh with the 1.8. Maybe.

6) You want to travel light.

7) You are taking shots in a venue where you do not want to attract attention with a larger lens.

8) You realize you'll get $50 for the lens if you sell it and figure it's not worth the trouble.

<blockquote>

<p>[[The fewer you own the less worrying you will do]]<br>

Even a casual reading of the OP's posting history proves this to be completely wrong. This is someone who's only goal in life is to worry about photography equipment.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But the more lenses you have, the more choices you have to make, plus you have to worry about if you have too many lenses and if so, which ones to sell.</p>

<p>Of course if you only have a few lenses, you have to worry about whether they are the right few lenses and then you have to second guess yourself about whether you should have sold the ones you did sell or whether you should have sold all of them and bought some new ones. But which ones?</p>

<p>Either way I guess you're screwed.</p>

<p>As the OP explains...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But, more important than that is the fact that with 2 lenses having the same focal length, I would need to make decisions as to which to use (which I don't like having to do), and would likely pick the zoom for it's versatility over the prime anyway</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So (in his particular case) why keep it? Too much choice isn't always a good thing (for some people).</p>

<p>Well, you'll be happy to note(maybe not Bob A.)that I've decided to keep it for now. I know. Some of you are shuddering; knowing that this very same post might reappear in the future.<br>

I'll try and be a good boy(old man) and not subject you to such a thing.<br>

I played with the lens around the house on this very sunless day; forcing it to strutt it's stuff under poorly lit circumstances(no interior lights on). The darn thing does produce. And I think I may have proved to myself what many of you have been trying to tell me. The difference between 1.8 and 2.8 can be quite significant.<br>

Thanks for contributing all.</p>

<p>I would say, "Hell, Yes". I would keep it for the following reasons:</p>

<ul>

<li>This is the fastest lens in my EOS system</li>

<li>Quite possibly the sharpest despite having a couple of L lenses</li>

<li>Definitely the lightest - easy to carry around</li>

<li>I can handhold the camera at 100 ASA 1/8th of a sec with this lens on</li>

<li>Forces me to zoom with my feet</li>

<li>Range overlapping is a minor consideration for me because different lenses have different characteristics and each has its own charm</li>

</ul>

<p>6 reasons for me to keep it.</p>

<p>Someone help me if my math is off here but isn't the 50 1.8 more than 1 Full Stop faster than the Tamron F2.8? In any case, I would much rather shoot at 50 F2.0 ISO 3200 than 50 F2.8 ISO 6400. The Image quality or the 50 1.8 @F4.0 (sweet spot) vs F2.0 or faster will be less notible than the noise difference you will notice between ISO 3200 and ISO 6400. <br>

PS - true story I was shooting a wedding with my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and it just broke for no reason. I went to take a picture and my camera LCD went black made a weird gear grinding noise then I got Error 99 on my 5D Mark II. My heart stopped beating until I went to my bag and got my trusy 50 1.8 and saved the day. If you have a Tamron lens and shoot anything important I would strongly recommend having a backup. On another occasion all of my flash batteries went dead, no store nearby no place or time to recharge. Again, the 50 1.8 saved the day. To me the 50 1.8 is like a spare tire never leave home without it.</p>

<p>I'm busy trying to earn a living as a photographer. I have been for years. I have to tell you that I have any number of lenses that duplicate at least some of what other of my lenses do. Here is the deal. I have never taken a seminar or workshop that didn't make me a better photographer. So if you promise to sell the 50 and buy some lessons go ahead. Otherwise it doesn't matter at all.</p>