Should I bother selling a Nikon D70 or the D80 to get D700?

elaine_dudzinski1

<p>I don't know what the going prices are for the older cameras, but I'm sure they are not much. Is it even worth it to sell these cameras? I want to buy a Nikon D700 to get the full frame and low light features. I own a D70 and a D80. I know the prices won't even help buy the D700. What I'm really asking is if it is even worth it to sell these cameras, or just hang on to them as back up cameras. If I chose one camera as back up, which would be the better camera. I hear two different answers from friends. Thought I'd ask the experts here.<br>

I guess I feel that if I'm not using the camera, because I bought the newer camera, it would sit wasting away in the closet. I tend to be a one camera person, a minimalist. I don't like having too many of anything. If it's a D-SLR, it's usually just one camera. I own one 35mm, one P&S digital pocket camera. If I were to get a medium format camera, it would be just one. Guess I don't like all of the clutter or the fact that once you get the new gear, the older gear sits there. I've always sold off the old gear, but because digital goes down in price so quickly, I wonder if it's worth it to sell.<br>

Thanks for the help,</p>

<p>Lainey</p>

<p>I don't see the point to keep both the D70 and D80. One backup should be sufficient. The question is which one to sell.<br>

<P>

You can use the D700's EN-EL3e battery on both the D70 and D80. The D700 shares CF card with the D70 but the D80 uses SD cards.<br>

As a backup, the D70 is more convenient since it shares batteries and memory cards with the D700, but I would go with the D80 since it is a better camera.<br>

<P>

Just don't expect to get a whole lot of money from selling either the D70 or D80. You can buy a brand new D80 for $540 today.</p>

<p>You have D70 and D80 but we do not know how you use them.<br>

From your usage perspective and results you obtained from both cameras, you should see any difference or advantage if there is significant one to you. The decision should come from you, since other people may have a different usage or experiences.</p>

<p>If you use a lot of flash and studio flashes, and possibly venture into faster flash synchronization techniques that need full power of the fast flash and longer range, then the D70 would be the one to keep. </p>

I'd keep the D70, either camera will end up gathering dust so you may as well maximise your return, also as has been pointed out already,the D70 shares the use of CF cards, also the D70 has the 1/500s flash sync and (but I'm not sure on this point) the D70 would be more suitable for any venture into IR photography (on the basis that I believe it has less IR blocking)

<p>elaine, a bigger question IMO is, if you purchase a D700, will you be able to take full advantage of it? in other words, if you don't already have an arsenal of upper-consumer-grade, prime, or pro zoom FX-compatible lenses, that will be an added expediture. in the meantime, a d90 or d300 might be a more sensible purchase which will leave some room in the budget for acquiring Serious Glass, as well as making an excellent DX companion to a D700.</p>

<p>it's always good to have a backup, and the D70 is a classic, but the d80 improves upon it in many ways, from the larger LCD to the 40% more MP, as i'm sure you're aware. there are pros and cons to both bodies, as pointed out above, so ultimately this is a question only you can answer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I tend to be a one camera person, a minimalist.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then how come you have a D70 and a D80?<br>

In any case, only you know how you used those two cameras and which feature might be the more useful to you. If, as you say, the second body will just accumulate dust, then selling them now will at least maximize your return - I'd expect to get at least $700 for both when sold on the big auction side. If you have any DX specific lenses, I'd sell those too at the same time.<br>

I'd be hard pressed to decide which one of the two to keep - if that's what you want. The D70 has advantages for flash photography and it uses the same cards as the D700. The D80 has the larger sensor and the better AF. Both will not be very satisfactory to you once you have the D700.</p>

<p>I presently have;<br>

the D200 - minimal use<br>

the D300 - been my # one since the day I got it<br>

the D700 - Finding more & more use for it by the day - which I did not expect. I was shootin at ISO 6400 last week & should have posted in our weekly thread, but I've been ill & though I visit, pp has been very slow.... Shun or Lex - - may I post tomorrow instead?????<br>

I also have two film cameras...<br>

The Nikon FM - also minimal use (for now)<br>

Nikon N90s - hardly ever....</p>

<p>Now, I'm am considering selling the D200 as I only have less than 15,000 actuations on it. I love my D300 & the new D700. I don't need it. But at the same time it's convenient when I go riding the horses & take shots as I don't have to worry all that much if anything should happen to it. - but we'll see..... <br>

The N90s - well I really should sell it. For a film camera I have the one I've wanted to get again - the Nikon FM. It's really all I need for that. But it's also a convenient camera to have.... But I don't need it.<br>

So - personally I think you should give up the D80. The D70 uses the same size cards (CF) as the D700. That alone is a good reason to keep it. Also, I see some great shots out of the D70.<br>

Which tells me I better be a good girl & sell the D200...<br>

JMHO</p>

<p>i don't know how serious you are in your photography. i am one of those who like backups. a p & s is my third camera in a serious shoot, like in some where i will be paid. for my everyday-carry bag, i have a small dslr but still carry a p & s.<br>

if you can get by with a p&s backup then sell both the d70 and d80 and make use of the little money. to me, like the majority of the above people, i'd keep the d70 for all the practical reasons mentioned ---- cf, battery, high flash synch (great for outdoor fill flash as well as studio setups), etc. plus the d80 will sell more in the used market.<br>

let the d70 collect dust. who knows someday you might need it. but of course it's your call.</p>

<p>I bought the D80 when my D70 was in the shop. Wasn't sure if it would be fixed. I had to do a band shoot the day my D70 died. Well, it was fixed for free by Nikon. I guess it was a software issue. So, that's why I have two bodies. I was going to get the D200, but the shop didn't have one available, so the D80 was it. </p>

<p>So, I think I'll sell the D70, because the LCD is too small for my eyes now. I wear glasses to read, and I like the D80's LCD screen size. I like the D70 for it's durability, and flash capabilities, though. Anyway, my lenses are Film lenses. I only own one DX lens. The one that came with the D70. The kit lens. My other lenses were purchased for film cameras.<br>

I want to thank everyone for their help. Wow. You answered so quickly. I appreciate it.</p>

<p>I kept my D70s when I bought the D200. I could not face selling it for the pittance that I would no doubt get for it even though it's low milage (under 5000 actuations) and like mint to look at and use. Maybe that will change with a little more time if I can put the money towards a nice new lens that I lust after - lenses are my downfall more than camera bodies and they make me dribble from the mouth and go "aaaaaaaargh lennnnnnns" just like Homer Simpson and donuts.</p>

<p>I'd keep one of them, and one lens appropriate to its use -- i.e., one that will meter on the D70 or D80, since I am not sure what a film lens is -- my old film lenses, Ai and Ai converted, will not meter on the lesser Nikons.<br>

After getting the D300, my D70s has sat in the poor bag unused. That is, until I wanted to take my fiance out on a shoot. I put the D70s in her hands with that great kit lens, put it on "P", and she had a ball. Her artistic training actually results in pretty good compositions. So, my D70s still stays in the bag a lot, but it still has a user besides me. And, I have an emergency camera.<br>

Or, do you have a younger brother, nephew, or someone to whom a pretty good DSLR might open a new vision of photo making? Giving one away might feel a whole lot better than selling one for a pittance.<br>

Just my 2 cents.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Her artistic training actually results in pretty good compositions. So, my D70s still stays in the bag a lot, but it still has a user besides me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>OK, I'm going out on a limb and saying you don't need a THIRD camera! That's hardly a minimalist attitude. What specifically are the D70 and D80 lacking? If you sell the D70 with the DX lens you'll get more for it. IMHO, build quality on the D80 is really crappy. The D70 cameras our Photo dept. bought 3 years ago are going strong. Most of the D80 and assorted lenses are dying. I think if there is a specific feature the D70 and D80 lack then you should keep what you have and worry about improving your photography rather than depleting your wallet.</p>

<p>I'd consider converting either the D70 or D80 (I'd do the D80, because I like the features better than the features on the D70) to (infrared) black & white and buy a D300 instead of a D700.<br>

Probably costs you about as much, and you have a true B&W camera that can render beautiful skies...</p>

<p>Is your D70 a D70s? I like the latter's Adobe RGB feature. Comparing my D70s images to those of newer cameras, I can't tell the difference if I plan to print no larger, than say, 8X10. The newer cameras have a really big advantage with high ISO capability, but I usually don't need it. If you really don't need the megapixels of the D80, I'd keep the D70 because of the CF card, and particularly if it's the "s" model. I'm having trouble reading my menus as well, but I don't use them much. Hope that helps. Check KEH.com, re: prices.</p>