Shot taken by Voigtlander Avus

Yes, I did shoot on 9x12 film (Kodak sold 9x12 in several emulsions 20 years ago), and yes, I did print some shots. However, the pictures are in a warehouse now, god knows in which box. The shots were wonderful. This greatly enlarged shot above from 120 film gives only a hint.

I have a minty Zeiss Recomar from the same period, and--as soon as I get some 9x12 sheets--I want to try it out, as well.

Groan. Ron, I make that mistake all the time. The minty camera I have is a Zeiss Maximar. That's the one I want to try out. I have used a Kodak Recomar, but didn't care for the lens. Just not the look I prefer. I can't recall what kind of lens it was. Do you know?

Anyway, I didn't know that Nagel made the Recomar. I'm a fan of the Retinas, so maybe I should rethink the Rocomar.

Hmm, this is getting to be like baseball-card trading as kids. Zeiss Maximar: got it (got 2 actually, one "minty" with Kalart rangefinder). Got an Avus (story below). Got the Kodak Anastigmat (130mm in rimset Compur, probably from a Recomar), which I do believe is a Tessar design (but don't quote me on that), which I got for less than $10 at a local recycled-materials store.

The Avus actually got put together out of a couple of pieces. I got the carcass of the camera (basically everything minus lens + shutter) from a local guy 'round heah, Graham Pilecki, who has an antique camera shop in Albany (California, just north of Bezerkeley). It was in a box of carcassi that he was selling for cheap (still is). I put in the lens from the Ica Trona with the blown bellows I got from eBay (one of them "Doppel Anastigmats"). But I ran across a Skopar (in dialset Compur) on eBay, so now I have the complete Avus (well, except for ground glass back) with its original lens. Actually, out of all my 9x12 folders, it's kind of my favorite, with a beautiful patina of age and wear on the "leather" which has turned it kind of dusky brown.

What I don't have, yet, are any beautiful shots like the one taken by the O.P. But I have supreme confidence in the capabilities of these old machines and glass.

So, anyone interested in one of my Maximars? Maybe I don't need two of them ... (they both have extremely clean CZJ Tessars).

So: I haven't heard anything yet about 6x9 folders. Anyone here got one of them? (I mean a plate camera, not a rollfilm camera.) I'm just starting to play around with my Voigtlander Vag (the low-end model). Even used it hand-held. First prints to come soon ...

I must say, I understood the Kodak equivalent to the Tessar was the Ektar -- the Anastigmat is, IIRC, a Cooke Triplet equivalent to a Radionar or Voigtar (or half the other lenses sold in mid-range cameras through the 1930s). I have a Kodak Reflex II with Anastigmat lenses -- and had one such in 1974, as well, which I took apart to lube the shutter (with graphite); there were only two cells in the lens, though I think the back cell had two elements in it.

About the Anastigmats and Ektars, I seem to remember reading Richard Knoppow on this subject, who I take as an authority on such things, saying that the Ektars were the coated descendents of the Anastigmats. There's probably a retrievable posting on that somewhere on the "medium format" site.

I could be wrong about that, though.

Robert, for information on Ektar lens formulas (some, if not all) and more, go to http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~b-wallen/BN_Photo/Kodak_index2.htm.

FWIW, I use a couple of Ektars.

The 25/1.9 Cine Ektar II is a fine lens for moderately high magnification photomacrography. Not as good as a 25/3.5 Luminar, but close enough to be a good inexpensive alternative. Yes I have the Luminar and have shot the two lenses against each other. Both are best wide open.

The 25/1.4 Cine Ektar II isn't so good for photomacrography, but is just super facing the right way at normal distances.

The 80/6.3 WF Ektar is a keeper, I think. At any rate, mine produces very satisfactory images on 2.25 x 3.25. I shoot it at f/11 and f/16, haven't had to try it wider or stopped down farther.

And the 101/4.5 Ektar is phenomenal at f/11 and f/16. I haven't shot it wider open.

Yes, only the 101 is a tessar type.

Cheers,

Dan