Beach/Spring Lake areas of NJ. This is a "working vacation." I

will also be in Connecticut (Trumbull/Fairfield/Milford) for at

least two weeks.

Since I'm in Florida, what would you suggest would be the best way

to advertise my availability on the week before and the week after

July 4th? Have any of you ever done this before? Maybe place a

small advertisement in the local newspaper? Connect with local

studios? I would think my prices would be very attractive for folks

used to paying significantly more in the Northeast.

I've already called the appropriate folks and know my business

operating requirements (basically, there aren't any restrictions I

need to be concerned about witht he exception of sales tax issues).

Thanks for your help. Oh, wait, was that advice you were trying to give? I have photographed weddings as far away as 1400 miles - for couples I didn't know, period. Is there something wrong with wanting to maximize profit and continue working through the busy season, and in my old hometown? What I've asked for is advice on how to attract business while I'm off my normal turf. You've done a remarkably good job of doing aboslutely nothing to help.

Hey, if there are no worthwhile responses, the thread can simply be deleted by the moderators. Otherwise, I'd appreciate genuine help if anyone has any information or experiences to share.

I did connect with my local hometown paper today - so it looks like I might be able to post an ad. We're thinking long term, possibly spending a month every summer shooting while we visit family.

Post your 'ad' in the paper, and then wait and see if a 'local business' license/permit, and the question of New Jersey sales tax will appear from a 'concerned' studio owner in the area. He or she may not really, really dig your 'working' visit in their neighborhood.

Ha ha! Nope, haven't talked to them yet, although my first taste of real photography many years ago was working for a PI firm catching insurance fraud and cracking rings. If I can deal with those guys, I can deal with a few angry wedding photographers. I can also run really, really fast.

I plan to remit sales tax, and if needed get a temp/seasonal business permit and license, just to keep things legit.

Visit your family, shoot the wedding, and enjoy your vacation. Don't undercut the prices of the photographers already there. Would you want somebody to do that to you?

Remember too, Florida has no income tax. Those photographers are probably paying income tax. By the time you hire and pay an accountant familiar with all the local taxes and regulations, insurance rquirements, etc, you may just be left wondering how the hell those photographers make a living at all, even with their higher prices.