Shooting the moon with a cheap lens

I have a 400mm "Tele-Astronar" that I got for next to nothing. There's about 1/2 dozen variations of the same lens sold under different names. F/6.3 so not exactly speedy but good enough for some fun.

I can't say I use it a lot, but I would never get rid of it, - and it's pretty well thought out for what it is. The tripod mount is a nice touch and it's got a handy way to focus with the aperture wide open and then flick it back to where you want it.

In my long fascination with 400mm and up lenses, I have found that some of the cheap ones (like the old refractor Spiratone 500mm, preset) were much better that one would think. I guess with only a few components they were not so complex to design.

Long catadioptric (mirror) lenses were also good, but many of the cheapest still available new under 're-purposed' names from long ago, are not worth anything to speak of. For the same money there are myriad mirror lenses of quality available on eBay and elsewhere. I'd especially mention the Nikkor and Sigma mirror lenses for a start. They're easier to find than some others, and very good if you don't mind doughnut OOF highlights.;)

I have a Vivitar 500mm catadioptric (T2 mount) which I bought for a low price a few years ago.

I then bought a cheap Nikon T2 mount. There is no aperture to couple, so nothing lost there.

I have done some moon pictures, maybe also with a 2x extender, also bought used.

Together, that all qualifies as a cheap lens. I might have even tried both 2x and 1.4x together!

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...