Shooting First African-American Wedding

mneace

<p>Will be shooting our first African-American wedding in Atlantic City next month. Even though shot numerous weddings as a 2nd shooter, non were African-American. We have already met the couple and they are both light skinned African-Americans but I'm sure their guest will have skin tones from light to very dark. </p>

<p>Are there any differences in shooting darker skin tones? Will we have to make adjustments for indoor low-light when shooting very dark skin tones? Any help will be appreciated,</p>

<p>Not really. You might do some searches but it boils down to only several things one can do besides get the exposure right.</p>

<p>1. If you expose correctly for the scene, you expose correctly for skin, whatever shade it is. Most people are more concerned about the white dress and darker toned skin (getting detail in both). I personally don't like to underexpose darker skin, due to the increased noise when you pull up the exposure. I'd rather pull some highlights back and get the skin correctly exposed. Shooting RAW helps.</p>

<p>2. Soft, low contrast lighting is best, because specular highlights tend to be exaggerated in darker skin (more reflective), so the softer the light, the better. Direct flash is not as good as bounced, for instance. It helps to have skin blotting paper, as oils on the skin also exaggerate highlights, although it will be difficult to hand out blotting paper to a large crowd of people.</p>

<p>3. Whenever feasible, put the darker skinned people in the brighter light. Not always possible, but if you can. Example--table shot. Darker skin to the front row.</p>

<p>4. Use natural separation whenever possible. Don't put a dark skinned person in front of a black background, for instance.</p>

At the reception, if it is indoors and on the dark side, I'd set up some extra lights aimed more towards the walls, bouncing, and maybe even an umbrella. I personally hardly ever use an umbrella, but it does feather the light. I wouldn't use direct light.

The key lighting for me is to avoid dark backgrounds. If you don't light up the a dark area, people that are dark skinned, have dark hair, black tuxes, will blend into the background. You will have trouble with seeing where the hair is and where the background is.

Feel free in emailing me for samples. Sometimes seeing a picture will help.

Thanks Nadine & Bob. I will pay careful attention to the bacgrounds and avoid harsh lighting. I don't like the idea of

umbrellas at a reception, but I may put up a Gary Fong Whale Tail. We typically use those at the bride's house on cloudy

days or poorly lit rooms. We also use the light sphere/whail tail combo at the receptions as well. They do a good job of

softening the light, I hope that will be enough. Have not seen the reception location so not sure of the wall and ceiling

color. Do you ever bounce off none-white walls/ceilings and then color balance in camera?

<p>Nadine and Bob have given you good info. I would avoid multiple lighting at this point since it's an advanced technique and experimenting at a wedding is not a good idea. It really just boils down to using good lighting. Most every wedding gives you some bright whites (wedding dress & veil) and rich blacks (groom's tux) all in the same frame so skin tones will fall in between. The key is to use good lighting and good lighting is independent of skin tones.</p>