Shooting direct to storage device

There are a number of mini-HD based, battery powered, devices that would probably fit fine in a small camera bag. You could be dumping a memory card into it while shooting with another. Not a perfect solution, but better than running back and forth to a laptop.

Nikon's D2H and WT-1 wirless transmitter are another option.

Hi Doug,

There was just someone who came out with the ability to transfer images to a hard drive using BlueTooth or WiFi. I can't remember which - which means you could forego the USB cable all together. Was it the new Kodak DSLR that does this? It was a camera intended for studio use I believe.

Though I dunno know if you can do while your one the move. Seems somewhere along the way weight and battery power become an issue.

Here's the way I go about something a little similar -

I shoot with an Fuji S2 Pro DSLR right onto 1GB CF cards - in my camera bag is an ARCHOS drive - it even fits in my back pocket. (yes the one with the crappy b/w LCD preview screen). I can usually fit an entire days job on one card.

When I take a break or the job is done I just pop the CF card into the ARCHOS and transfer. No problem. Because I write images to the CF card from the camera and then later transfer them from the CF card to the ARCHOS I don't think this'll burn up as much energy as you would if say you were shooting directly onto a spinning HD.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this one.

Hello,

I'm using an 10 gig Ipod with a Belikn Media Reader. All battery

powered and small. The only drawback is that I have to transfer

the Cf card to the ipod. No direct cable. The reader reads all

types of memory cards and was about 100 bucks,

Thanks!

Here's some interesting stuff. Though again this doesn't sound like its for the guy on the street but more like the guy in the studio.

<p>

<a href= http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6452-6491 >take a look here</a>

<p>

It's shaping up very interestingly these days - especially if you consider what is said in the article re: the barcode function that ref's EXIF Metadata.

It may not be 100% there now - but give it a bit of time and this thing looks like a good gadget to have. Though again I still think the problem here for portability is that you still need to have a rather large (read heavy) power source. Making it unusable for shooting on the go.