Hey everyone:

This question is a survey for those shooting weddings with digital

cameras. When you photograph group shots, how are you lighting

them? I am using the D70, and for smaller groups, I use the SB-800

and diffuser dome. For larger groups, I bring out the Metz potato

masher. I am just curious to see what you are doing. I appreciate

everyone's input.

Duane

Hmmm, works for me. Moved up to an 8MP, but I don't think that's a large improvement. Still, the 6MP images seem to sell well to the clients. Isn't that the ultimate test?

If I have time I set up two Sunpak potato mashers on stands with umbrellas. I mount the camera on a tripod and drag the shutter to pick up some ambient light as well. If I'm rushed I use one bracket mounted flash to do it all, but I still drag the shutter & use a tripod.

I use a Sunpak 120j on a bracket. Sometimes I throw a slaved vivitar 285hv on a lightstand with an umbrella to help. I've started using my Digital Rebel (20d right around the corner I hope) for weddings. One of the things I like about the 120j is the removeable reflector. Great for ultra-wide or soft light. Personally I hate the side shadows you get when using handle mount flashes.

"It continues to amaze me that people shoot detail-rich group formals with 6MP DSLRs. I wouldn't think of using my D100s for such photos- I'd be embarrassed by the quality."

I don't think I asked for anyone's opinion if 6 MP was good enough for formals. Eric, I hate to tell you, but alot of successful wedding photographers in the industry are shooting formals with 6 mp DSLR's. As someone else stated, if the client approves, what else matters? I appreciate everyone's comments... yes, even yours, Eric :)

Duane

"T"

I too shoot the D70, but there are so many variables to this question. The D70 hates under-exposure and picks up a lot of noise, thus I tend to go back to my Bronica when I'm concerned about lighting and resolution.

So, no I don't use the D70 for groups.

I light groups with one or two Quantums..

Mark

Not sure about the 6mp thing.

I find it is a bit restrictive but if you are sure you need less than a 16x24 for final output, I guess it will work jsut fine if shot well.

As for the lighting of the party, I generally use a couple of 550's on stands with small umberellas. I set them about 4' apart and facing a little away from the center of the group. If it gets to more than about 20-30 people, I grab a 3200 head and a 42-45" umberella.

I am about to try the LS II (for small groups inside) that I've been playing with. Not sure about it yet?

<I>"Personally I hate the side shadows you get when using handle mount flashes."</I>

<P>

Yeah, I do too, but I never use the handle mount flash off to the side unless it's way off to the side. Most of the time I use one, I have it mounted on a Stroboframe Pro T to keep it directly over the lens. Works at least as well as a shoe mount flash.