Shooting Bands Live

scottyboo

Question I should've thought out.... starting to do band shoots,

and what do most of you do who have expertise, shoot with available

light or with a flash? I'm figuring flash is probably not welcome

by the performers. Greatly appreciate any thoughts on this

subject... thanks!

Hmm this is my personal experiences. May not suits your situation but maybe it may helps a bit....

1. Ask the event organizers about what photographers can do. Some events requires strict control about photography and access. Do ask the organizers way before the event. Get the proper credentials and respect their guidelines.

2. As far the equipment goes: I normally can use anything from 24mm to 300mm. Prime lenses are the best quality but they're cumbersome (hard to change lenses during a jam pack concerts). Zoom is the best compromise. If possible get the fastest zooms (f 2,8).

3. Films. Depending with the timing. If the even is outdoor and during daytime, ASA 100 films maybe suffice. If it is at night and using stage lightings, I'll say ASA 800 (like EKTAPRESS films) are the best bet. Some stages requires ASA 1600 or more.

4. As for flash, I normally tried to avoid them. Most stage performers don't appreciate having flash aimed at them. Under certain situations, flash is intrusive for the audiences too (like indoor hall). So I'll leave flash out but not at home as they're handy for backstage pics or informal shoots (like when the band mingle with the audiences after the show).

5. Extras. WHat I called extras are things like monopod. Using long lenses under low available light is a nightmare when you don't have a good support. Having a tripod is good but many time there were no space for tripod. Monopod is often the best options.

Hope this will help.

Ari

Check out <a href="http://www.photo.net/concerts/mirarchi/concer_i">the photo.net concert photography tutorial</A> by Steve Mirarchi. Excellent resource.

<P>

Most performers (and audience members, I am sure) would appreciate your keeping the use of flash to a minimum, which is what I normally do. I have one band I shoot for regularly who encourages me to use flash, as they like the results; sort of ironic, since they usually like to have the house lights turned way down.

• 2 months later...
Thanks everyone for the imput... see my latest stuff at www.mylongisland.com/sbphoto .. I have had great success using both raw light and flash; now I love and am exploring more the rear-synch effects I get with my SB-600 and D-70.<div>009j2Y-19958384.jpg.7f9efaa271ca4059c9cb599a7c9a3291.jpg</div>