shooting an indoor wedding

yuzeth_benitez

hey there, so i am a beginner and have just purchased an olympus e500. i would

like to start self teaching to photograph weddings, photography seems to come

pretty natural to me, i just don't know technical/terms and procedures...i just

want to know what do i do for lighting in the reception halls since they are

pretty dark...what has worked for you? What additional equiptment should i start

to think about purchasing? if you would use simple terms i would so appreciate

it, like i said i'm a beginner...thanks!

If you are a beginner start by reading all these articles:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a?topic_id=2021&category=First+Timer+and+Newcomers+to+Wedding+Photog%2e

Rember, you need 2 of everything, incase of failure, and you don't have a second chance to get it right. So, make sure you know exactly what you are doing before you commit to doing it.

The most valueable thing to do it to assist a pro, and learn from them. It is the best learning experience you can get. Don't do your own, until you have assisted.

Being a relatively new photographer myself, and an owner of the E500, I would suggest you take plenty of other group pictures at gatherings before even thinking of doing weddings. Something where your life will not end when the couple comes for your blood if you mess up. I have learned plenty of things on this board, and still don't feel I am anywhere near ready to do a wedding. I am also enrolled in the New York Inst. of Photography, plus I have been through some online courses with professionals.

What experience do you have? Have you been posting pictures on here (here meaning photo.net), so that you can find out what you are doing wrong or right, or whatever. I think I cried the first time I did that--I really thought the picture was half way decent. Also, for weddings you need knowledge of a post-processing program, whether it be Photoshop or otherwise so you can do the effects. What lens do you have for the camera? The kit lenses will never do in a dark reception hall, that's for sure. When people post on here that have been doing photography for awhile, go to their sites and look at all their pictures.

You might want to start out with some prom pictures or just some special occasion and run them by the group. Nothing wrong with setting your hopes high (mine are), but make sure you are ready first! Brides do not forgive and forget!

Debbie

yuzeth - I was suggest learning the basics of exposure, which includes ISO, aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed.

then, learn the basics of depth of field and shutter shake.

then, learn about how to mix ambient and flash.

practice practice practice. at least you have a digital camera - when I learned all of this, it was with a book, a roll of film and an Olympus OM-1 and a lot of careful notes to figure out what the heck I was doing.

As others have said, begin reading everything you can on this forum. As for your specific question, you might want to search specifically about "dragging the shutter". Start with planetneil.com, under Techniques, the article on using on camera flash. You might also want to get some books. Try Steve Sint's "Wedding Photography--Art, Business and Style" and on flash theory, Susan McCarthy's "Mastering Flash Photography". Also maybe "Digital Wedding Photography" by a fellow who's last name is Gero (forgot the first name).

Learn the technical terms! Know how to use flash indoors and out. Understand your camera and why certain things happen... and how a simple adjustment can make all the difference. Shoot only in manual mode, so you will kow when it is OK to use shutter priority or apeture priority modes.

Find a pro to assist and second shoot.

Learn on their dime when there is less pressure.

You will advance lightyears in ten weddings while forstalling the ruinination of somebodies special day.

Withhold any major purchases of any equipment until after ten weddings. After ten weddings under a pro and 3 to 6 weddings for free and at cost and... $10,000 later you can call yourself a pro!

Hidden costs... Even with Olympus, I would expect a minimum of $1000 for flashes, brackets, and sync cords. Expect to spend $1000 on sufficient memory and programs to shoot RAW. Is your computer ready to handle the onslaught of a thousand image night? If not, there goes another $1000. Three camera bodies, a couple of zooms and primes, insurance on your equipment, liability insurance, business liscense, phone, website, print materials, accountants, lawyers, and several sample albums... (did I leave anything out?)