Shirt pocket camera

In my lunchtime, I walk around the business district CBD and often wish I had a lightweight camera for street photog that slipped into my shirt pocket - but that was not a phone. Perhaps one of those slim Sonys or Canons. Should not be conspicuous. Doesn't have to be a current model either as there many used cameras for sale. RAW would be nice but not a must have. I've never followed these camera models so I am starting from scratch and would appreciate any suggestions.

Ricoh GR or GRD any version. New ones have bigger sensor, but they're small, pocketable and do what you want for street. The lens folds in to the body make it small. Its a 28mm equivalent lens. I'm sure there's a gajillion cameras on the market that will do the job. Look at Panisonic, and Olympus 4/3 smaller cameras and I don't know I mean take your pic (pun intended). Go to a camera store, spend some time researching what's out there.

I use my iPhone for convenience and it can be inconspicuous, though I carry it in my pants pocket because it’s too likely it could fall out of my shirt pocket.

Though I’ve tried and like it both ways, lately I’m liking more and more being conspicuous on the street, fine if my bigger dslr draws attention to itself. If I’m out taking street photos, there’s something cool about being up front about it. It can help create an interesting street dynamic. Often, strangers will purposely engage with me because of the camera or with the camera itself in ways that I think can connect with viewers directly and genuinely.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I've had several of the Canon PowerShots, and all have worked well.

On the other hand, why not a phone? I'd think it was less obvious than any camera, and the quality today is up there with most of the 'pocket' cameras.

In my case, I hate the damn things - bet I'm not alone in that.

I was and am not a big fan of uninterrupted contact with the broader world, BUT

you can set privacy mode and no one can call you except people on your list

they turn off, anyhow

they are much handier than a separate GPS device and can guide you to even exotic destinations

in short, I don't use the phone as phone much, but it is a good secretary, if you want, and is altogether useful in so many ways.

Like a modern camera, no one forces you to use AE, AF, etc.

• Like 1

I have a Ricoh GR. APS-C sensor. Others like the Canon G7/9(x) without the price tag of the Sony RX100. To me when I am outside and I am not taking all the other accessories then why carry a larger camera. I don't take action or wildlife etc ... or things like low light events.

The Leica C that Luis showed has the same dimensions and nearly identical specs to the Panasonic LF1, a camera I often carry in a vest pocket with a velcro closure. The different models of Sony's RX100 are similar in size to the Leica and Panasonic, as can be seen here, but offer a larger sensor.

An excellent point that I can unfortunately confirm. Don't shirtpocket anything without a lanyard around your neck!

Don't put anything around your neck that is not breakaway. An old fashioned watch chain that attaches to a buttonhole works well and is safe. Another option is the breakaway I.D. lanyard used for meetings and events.

I use my iPhone for convenience and it can be inconspicuous, though I carry it in my pants pocket because it’s too likely it could fall out of my shirt pocket.

Try Apple's silicon case. Overpriced, but after using one for 5 years, my iPhone has never slipped out of my shirt pocket (where I always keep it) when picking something up off the ground or tying my shoes. Another benefit is the silicon cover is extremely tenacious with shirt fabric, especially when pulled out at an angle - and that gives me confidence a thief is much less likely to successfully steal my phone and run off with it in the downtown.

www.citysnaps.net

Try Apple's silicon case. Overpriced, but after using one for 5 years, my iPhone has never slipped out of my shirt pocket (where I always keep it) when picking something up off the ground or tying my shoes. Another benefit is the silicon cover is extremely tenacious with shirt fabric, especially when pulled out at an angle - and that gives me confidence a thief is much less likely to successfully steal my phone and run off with it in the downtown.

Thanks for the tip. I may try it, though kept in my shirt pocket it wouldn't be near as much fun when it vibrates . . . :)

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!