Sherry Krauter Lens Re-lacquering

<p>I sent my two thrift shop Leica C lenses, (previous thread), to Sherry Krauter to be CLA'd. She told me in an email that she could re-lacquer a lens surface for $5. I told her to go ahead and do this to any lens surface she thought needed it.</p>

<p>Frankly, I've never heard of this service before and can find no reference to it on the Internet. Can anyone shed some light on this treatment?</p>

<p>There is a UV-induced polymerization of lacquer process that is used on optical storage device lenses (e.g., CD readers) to improve laser focusing. I have never heard of it used on camera lenses though.<br>

I've had lens anti-reflective coatings redone with materials like magnesium flouride ( I think that what was used) but it's way more expensive than that. Perhaps she was referring to the element cementing material used in many older lenses?<br>

Sherry Krauter certainly knows what she is doing, however. Why not just ask her? I'm sure we'd all like to know more...</p>

<p>I think the term "lens lacquering" rather refers to blackening the edges of the lens elements. Sometimes the lens edges are poorly blackened, and blackening them properly can reduce flare significantly.</p>

<p>Anyhow I do not understand why "lens surfaces" are mentioned. Lens surfaces are ground and polished to an accuracy<br>

of a fraction of light wavelength, i.e. less than 1/1000mm. It is not possible to coat a lens surface manually and maintain a proper surface. </p>

<p>You could be right about the the service refering to refinishing the lens barrel. The price is so cheap I didn't bother to question Sherry about it at the time.</p>

<p>I've tried to contact her regarding some other matters, but I am no longer getting any response from her. Hope she is alright.</p>

<p>I thought it best to ask the source. Here is Sherry's response, so we don't have to guess:</p>

<p >"Relacquering is the process of painting the circumference edge of the element, which sometimes deteriorates over time. This lends to flare or glare if not addressed. <br>

Hope this is helpful. Best regards, Sherry "</p>

<p>Sherry Krauter is certainly a woman of limited words, making it impossible to pick her brains to any extent, in my experience. I wish she would write a book. I don't know how old Sherry Krauter is, but I imagine she is getting on in years. One can only hope, she is grooming an apprentice to take her place, at some point. Such immense knowledge locked up in that aging mind. What a shame it would be to lose it. What a shame she is so busy not to share it more freely.</p>

<p>I've recently sent her some equipment for repair and CLA. Formerly, I used to send all my Leica equipment to DAG, but Sherry has a similar reputation and promises a shorter turn around time, at this point. There arn't many vintage Leica repair people of Sherry's reputation around these days. If you have been putting off getting your vintage Leica gear serviced, I would seriously consider sending it out to DAG, Sherry or some other vintage Leica repair icon, now. </p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>Dont worry about Sherry.<br>

She'll be around for some time to come.<br>

Sherry isnt old. And she is passionate about and lives for Leica.<br>

I have sent her all 5 of M cameras for CLA's and 5 Leicaflex's from Australia.<br>

She just CLA'd my M2 and did a brilliant job.<br>

Regards,</p>

<p>Tony</p>