Shen Hao user notes

John, thanks for the detailed report. The photos added a lot to the presentation. I'd like to add more info about the rear standard movements. The Shen Hao has both base tilt and axis tilt (forward and backward) on the rear standard, along with rear rise. Wisner has rear axis tilt (geared), but backward only, along with rear rise. These movements are very useful for near-far focusing and are rarely found on wooden field cameras. No spirit levels included with the Shen Hao. I have a Culmann two-way spirit level that fits on the shoe mount of my Toyo field. It is very compact, and it can be used as a hand- held spirit level on the Shen Hao. I use a 15 inch Domke wrap and leave the carrying handle sticking out. Light- weight padded protection for the entire camera. A removable piece of foam plastic gives extra protection to the groundglass during transit.

Thanks John for the review. I too shoot a Supergraphic so I appreciate the comparison. Your right on with your point of the durability of the Super; Throw it in a backpack and go, as I do as well, and they are pretty good for handheld if setup right. But they are lacking with no back movements. How useful are back movements for you with landscapes up there in that great state? Would you believe the Shen Hao useful as an architectural camera?

"How useful are back movements for you with landscapes up there in that great state?"

Until last year I always thought I would never user them, hence I was very happy with the Supergraphic. Last year I got a cheap Graphics View II to do some studio work, and the few times I took it out was surprised how often I used the back moves (mostly for perspective control with rock formations and ruined cabins). It also convinced me that at 50+, I didn't want to haul a monorail up mountains :-)

The other comparison which I forgot to mention is that the Shen Hao has greater front movements than the Supergraphics, especially rise and fall, which I use all the time.

"Would you believe the Shen Hao useful as an architectural camera?"

It will certainly work (hence the ruined cabin theme above). The disadvantages are that the field camera construction limits movements for lenses 65mm and shorter even with the bag bellows, and that the base tilts are harder to control than they would be on a modern monorail camera (as mentioned above, the Shen Hao has limited rear axis tilt, and front and rear base tilts limited only by the bellows). I am thinking of adding a bubble level from Edmund Scientific.

Thanks for the nice review, John. I remember reading that the Shen Hao back doesn't take the Fuji Quickload holder. Is this true? What is the bottom line with each type of film holder: Quickload, new Readyload, and Polaroid backs? I almost exclusively use Velvia quickloads and, soon, TMax Readyloads, so this compatibility is essential for me.

Also, I remember reading something about the need/usefulness of having the camera broken in right in the Shen Hao factory. Is this really necessary or has the problem that previously necessitated this been resolved?

I know these issues have been addressed on this forum before, but I am unable to retrieve the previous postings for some reason, and the server is not allowing me to post a new question.

Many thanks,

Tony

Tony, the Shen Hao HZX 45-IIA will take all types of slide-in backs, as well as the Graphlock type backs. Perhaps there is another model that has limited back use. I researched the camera for more than a year before I bought it, and never heard of a problem with using any type of film holder. As I stated before, the retention springs for the groundglass frame are small wood screws, and they look like they can be stressed if an extremely thick film holder is forced in behind the groundglass. However, I have not experienced that problem.

Tony, taking your questions in reverse order, the version of the camera from Badger Graphics is reputed to be much less variable than going direct to the factory in China. At any rate, Jeff certainly does his own quality control (and his specs are a bit different from those on the Chinese language web site - including use of stainless steel rather than bronze).

In terms of backs, besides regular holders I have used (all graflok) grafmatics, Graflex RH-10 and RH-50 roll film backs, and a Polaroid 545i film holder -- all work fine.

• 4 years later...