shen hao reliability

newton_shrader1

<p>Shen Hao get some decent reviews and they seem to be built with quality materials. To be honest though, there isn't much that can go wrong with a field camera. If anything does go wrong its usually fixable or patchable so it works until you get home. Another Chinese camera worth considering is the Chamonix. It gets good reviews and it looks to me to be better built but its slightly more expensive.</p>

<p>I am the owner of three Shen Hao models. I cannot say they are a polished performer. On my most used camera I've had to sand surfaces to tolerance, glue on bits of flocking to all wood / wood interfaces to prevent light leaks and I've drilled holes for stops and done other mechanical touch-ups.<br>

However, I am taking photos without too many problems. I can't compare to any other brands because I live a long way from anyone else with LF. Having said all this, my Gitzo tripod is worse !</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have a Shen Hao 8x10 made of teak and titanium which I bought right from the factory in Shanghai. It is an exceptional piece of fine craftsmanship and I have been using it for over 10 years, albeit sparingly and it is still in "mint" condition. I also have the bag bellows for lenses as short as 65 mm I think, altho the shortest I have used is 120mm.</p>

<p>"my Gitzo tripod is worse !" Huh?<br>

The thing I like best about Gitzos is that, in general, they are outstanding tripods. The 2nd thing is that, so far as I know, they can all be repaired. I believe that all the repair parts are available. I could be mistaken, but I think I even saw individual aluminum legs recently.<br>

What model is it? If it's of a size & series that I want, I might be interested in buying it @ a reasonable price.<br>

Thanks, Jay Drew</p>