Sharpness of Olympus 17mm f2.8 vs 25mm f2.8 - Have you used both on the E-PL1?

elliot1

<p>Based on reviews I read online the 25mm is generally favored over the 17mm when it comes to IQ, I purchased the 25mm and am thrilled with the IQ except I didn't realize it needed an adapter for the E-PL1 (which I already had - it was my own fault for not researching enough). I was looking for a small footprint so there is a bit of disappointment there. I have read numerous comments statinig the IQ is good but not great with the 17mm. I am still contemplating buying this lens because of its size. If you have used both, your comments comparing the two would be appreciated.</p>

<p>A person on Dpreview Micro 4/3rd's Talk Forum posted a reply that stated the E-PL1 has software that corrects for the Chromatic Abberations and distortion of the 17 2.8 Pancake that greatly improves the performance of the lens. Did anyone here read this elsewhere? I ordered one anyway for the compactness and price. I owned the 25 2.8 which many people trashed. I found it to be a fine lens. I sold it when I decided to move to the Micro World.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't really get comparing 17mm and 25mm lenses for M4/3rds cameras. The 17mm is a wide angle lens and the 25mm is a normal lens.</p>

<p>I wanted a wide angle lens and a viewfinder and got the Oly 17mm. I have an EP-1, and the low light performance is superb. I generally leave the camera set at ISO 800 and the the 17mm f/2.8 lens set at f/5.0, which appears to be its sharpest aperture.</p><div>00WdDr-250381584.jpg.631678c103cfe71c369ab776c07d13cb.jpg</div>

<p>I don't notice chromatic abberation with the 17mm f/2.8 either, though its there:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/page23.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/page23.asp</a></p>

<p>Then again, I haven't been enlarging the heck out of images taken with this camera either.</p>

<p>I have noticed image quality deteriorating as you stop down below f/5.0.</p><div>00We65-250913584.thumb.jpg.380a240ddf8b5d4c0ead24fa23609e0d.jpg</div>