Sharpest Wide Angle Lenses for OM

brent_bennett

<p>I have looked on-line at several reports on wide angle Zuiko lenses. There is general agreement that the 24mm f/2.8 is probably the best in terms of resolution, followed by the 28mm f/2 and f/3.5. The 35mm f/2 gets mixed revues.<br>

I would like to know your opinions. I have noticed that many other manufacturers made lenses in this range for the Olympus OM. Are any of them as good as the Zuiko, or perhaps better?<br>

Thank You for your responses</p>

<p> I've been real happy with my Sigma 24mm 2.8 It does an excellent job. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying proper attention to my OM gear.. It still performs impressively. I'd love the zuiko version but can't justify spending much more on my film gear.</p>

<p>Check out my blog. I did some basic testing on a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 some impressions on the Tamron 28mm f/2.5 adaptal lens and some much more through testing on the Zuiko 24mm f/2.8 (as well as through testing on the Zuiko 35mm f/2.8 and if you are looking ultra wide the Sigma 14mm f/3.5).<br>

<a href="http://omexperience.wordpress.com/">http://omexperience.wordpress.com/</a></p>

<p>Just look along the top at the lens drop down.<br>

IMHO the 24/2.8 is probably the sharpest wide angle I have. Not wide angle, but also sharp I'd say are the Zuiko 85/2 (late version) and so far the 100/2.8 also seems really, really sharp, though I only just bought it and only have impressions from using it on my wife's E-PL1 (I don't have film back from using it on my OM-1 yet).<br>

The 35/2.8 is nice, but a little soft wide open and even at f/4, but good below that (perfect acceptable wide open). The Tamron 28/2.5 is also a really good performer and the Sigma 28/1.8 is very, very good, even wide open at f/1.8, though depth of field is suprisingly narrow for a wide angle lens at f/1.8. The Zuiko 24/2.8 is just a bit better though at the same aperatures (and a lot smaller, if 1 1/3rd stops slower). If you want a fast wide angle I'd deffinitely go for the Sigma 28/1.8. I can't comment if it is as good as the 24/2 (seems likely based on reviews of the 24/2), 28/2 or 35/2...but it is very good, is 1/3rd stop faster than those lenses and has the advantage of being a fraction of the price of most. I found mine for $150 about 4 years back. They aren't that common in OM mount, but I bet if you looked exhaustively on B&H, Adorama, KEH and Ebay you'd probably find one in a few months.<br>

The Sigma 24/2.8 I had was pretty good as well until it started to suffer a seperated group which caused some pretty bad astigmatisms off center. Not in the class of the Zuiko 24/2.8, but plenty good to make a nice budget wide angle lens and it was nice that it went to 1:4 magnification.</p>

<p>As a last Wow, that Sigma 14/3.5 is really nice. Pretty sharp wide open and sharper stopped down. It isn't going to win a resolution contest necessarily, but a solid performer all around, though flare can be strong depending on where your lighting source is (contrast loss isn't much of an issue fortunately) and that thing is WIDE. I haven't looked recently, but they are exceedingly rare in OM mount. I missed out on one about 4 years ago that went for about $400 because I couldn't quite bring myself to spend that much. It took 2 years of searching before another one appeared and I actually managed to get it cheap (in my opinion) for $250. I haven't seen one since, though I am not specifically looking at auctions for them anymore.</p>