Shall I accept these terms?

saad_m

<p>I've had a couple tell me theyre on a very tight budget, and just wan 3 hours of coverage, and a disc of non-retouched images, for 500AUD.<br>

I explained to them that images need some post, colour correction and so forth, and offerred $720. However, the say that is too high. Shall I just accept the $500, and not spend too much time in post?</p>

<p>A dillemma</p>

<p>Saad</p>

<p>Hi Saad,<br>

You might as well, but put a strict limit on the number of shots you'll be delivering at the end. At least then you can't overdo it post production time.<br>

What part of Aus are you from out of curiosity?</p>

<p>James</p>

<p>Saad:</p>

<p>I'm no wedding photographer but I am a pro-photographer since many decades. There's no way I'd ever release unretouched images at any price. I'd stand fast at your original offer and walk away if they're not willing to meet that fee. Would you really want uncorrected images floating around out there bearing your name? They're bound to print them themselves or at their local Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreens etc and we all know how wonderful the quality of those prints might be. </p>

<p>On the other hand, if AUS$720 makes a significant difference for you, try negotiate with the client. By the way, are y'all still using plastic money? I spent about a year in Tassie many years ago and absolutely loved the art paper/part plastic bills. Seems like they'd be OK forever no matter how many times they were circulated...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No matter what you do, sooner or later people will see the images and your name will be associated with them. I'd rather deliver fewer images I can live with than too many I'm not happy having others see.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>

<p>Everyone's on a tight budget. If they want your services, than the price is $XXX. If they want reduced coverage for a reduced price, that's up to you, but don't reduce quality. As mentioned above, people will see them and it will be YOUR name on them. Also keep in mind, this bride is expecting your usual amount of images for 3 hours coverage. Give her less and again, it's YOUR name being spread around as the photographer that ripped of the bride. When she tells everyone she only got 100 photos she's not going to mention that they were really great photos or that she only paid a fraction of the regular price. </p>

<p>The price for your work - really depends on your standards. Some will show the good will others won't. In either way it shouldn't reflect on quality of your images. As for quality & quantity, I think quality is more of an important factor.<br>

Good Luck<br>

Adam</p>

<p>Tell them no. Don't undercut yourself as a photographer. If they find the value in your work they'll pay for it. If it's not your style or the type of client you're looking for, it's okay to say no. You'll be better off because you'll be happier, and they'll be better off because maybe they'll find a photographer in their price range that does exactly what they're wanting.</p>

<p>It's not a matter of good will. This is your business, and livelihood.</p>

<p>If you go into your local camera shop and offer them $220 less for a lens, should they take it? Would they take it? I think you know the answer.<br>

Your client isn't going broke over the additional $220 you're asking for and you're not going to get rich over the $500 they're offering, so do as Cathy and David say and walk away.<br>

Please understand that this will not be the last time they squeeze you. Something else will come up and they will want you to bend again because you did so the first time.<br>

Also, should they agree to hire you for the original $720, make sure you have a contract and make sure you're paid in full before the wedding.<br>

Your files should be as clean as you can possibly make them. You have no control over the printing process, so give them the best possible files you can. If someone sees one of these prints, they're never going to ask where they were printed, they're just going to ask who shot them....-Aimee</p>

<p>I was just rereading what I wrote, and I don't think I make myself clear on the whole "quantity/quality" issue. Obviously I don't think you should give the couple anything less than your best work. But if you normally produce 300 QUALITY images for 3 hours of coverage, I think you'll only have headaches if you tell the bride "I'm only going to give you 150 images because you didn't pay full price." </p>

<p>Also, I don't think this is a goodwill issue. You're running a business, right? Goodwill or charity is when you give products and/or services to someone who otherwise can't afford them because you feel they deserve it (for whatever reason). A discount is what you give a potential client, who can afford your services, to seal the deal. If you're giving a discount you should still be making enough to cover your costs and make a profit (even if it is a <i>little</i> less than you would normally make) without sacrificing the level of quality you normally deliver. This couple is asking for a DISCOUNT, not goodwill or charity. How low can you go so that you a) don't sacrifice quality and b) still make enough to cover your costs and pay yourself?</p>

<p>Realistically, I will still be turning a profit, so I may as well I figure now. Ill do retouching on the photos in terms on colour etc, but no drastic photoshop work, just stuff in Aperture.<br>

James Im from Canberra.<br>

Mikael, yep the money is still plastic. The best part is if it goes through the wash its still fine!</p>

<p>You just devalued your work twice. You took a cut in pay and still do some retouching. If at $720 you don't normally give the images on disk, you devalued your work again by doing it it all for less money.</p>

<p>Please consider your own self worth. Right now, it appears you have low self esteem. Either you are worth what you charge, or you are not. You have to decide.</p>

<p>If it makes you feel any better, a lot of photographers have done just what you said you plan to do. But really think about the consequences. Either way, it is your decision, and your fault for any consequences it makes on your business in the future.</p>

<p>Live and learn!</p>