Settings retention between modes!

paul_russell1

<p>Why can't my 7D retain the aperture used between Av, M & B mode?<br>

I set my long exposure up in M mode, added ND filter, did my calcs then switched to B and set up my timer remote.<br>

I had set the camera up in M mode at f8, in B mode the shot was taken at f16, which was from the last time I had used that mode. After 8 mins exposure and 8mins NR processing I find out my shot is 2 stops under.<br>

I know I should be more diligent, but its a bit of a pain.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know I should be more diligent, but . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would expect it to be related to engineering by Canon. But sounds like the 7D works the same as my 50D, 7e and EOS3 did in the same circumstance. Actually it worked the same on my Canon A-1!</p>

<p>I think you've answered your own question Paul!</p>

<p>I totally agree.<br>

Most of the time I'd find it more logical and convenient if the aperture/time setting would be carried over when switching modes, especially when going to M. A simple prefs setting should take care of that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why can't my 7D retain the aperture used between Av, M & B mode?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah, you phrased it as a question. Would you believe that there's an answer?</p>

<p>The aperture and shutter settings don't carry over between M, Av, and Tv modes because it is considered to be a "task oriented" user interface. For example, a photographer may be shooting sports in Tv, at a desired shutter speed of 1/500 sec, while the last M "task", a studio shoot, needed f11 and 1/250 sec, and the last Av "task", an available light portrait, was at f2.8. The next time the camera is used in M, the safest assumption is that it's a task similar to the last M task. It actually took Canon extra work (more code, more memory locations) to make the interface work this way.</p>

<p>User interface experts site this as one of the few examples where Canon has a user interface advantage over Nikon. Nikon cameras work as you describe, the aperture setting is carried between M and A (Av) modes, the shutter speed between M and S (Tv).</p>

<p>Sarah has a good point about the custom setting.</p>

<p>This is actually very common,</p>

<p>Yeah, I prefer that it works the way it does, and the way Joseph describes. Some really old EOS film cameras would use the same shutter or aperture values when you switched modes, and I found that super annoying.</p>

<p>Different folks different strokes.<br>

I suppose canon does now offer the C modes...<br>

For my working situation I tend to set up an exposore in M mode then apply my filtration calcs and set the camera to bulb mode.<br>

I appreciate that every user has different needs, but a custom function would be the ideal solution.</p>