Setting up a smaller studio than I'd wanted, how many watt-seconds do I need?

acearle

I've been looking for a medium sized space for a studio in Taiwan, and

have finally given up for various reasons. I've decided to simply

convert my garage into a studio. Sounds great, right? Well...it is

about 1.5 cars wide, a van long, and only has 7-8 foot celings (it is

about 6'5" under the concrete beams, with another 12-18" to the ceiling).

In the original space (large), I was planning on starting with a

1000ws power pack and 4 heads, and adding another power pack when I

start shooting 6x6 (I currently shoot 35mm and will start using a D70

for some things). I just went and looked at the space again, and it

seems that I could probably start with 500ws and go to 1000 for medium

format. This is my first foray into studio lighting (aside from using

large incandescent bulbs in odd reflectors for black and white).

Whatcha'all think? Is 500ws enough? I want a main light, a second

light to control shadows (a reflector will probably do just as well?),

a background light, and a hair light. The main subjects will be

portraits, glamor, fashion, and the like...and whatever comes to mind

when I'm bored on a Sunday (art, jades, teapots, etc).

IMO, 500ws will not be enough for four lights. To have some flexibility I'd want at least

500 ws for two of the lights. And how will you use a hair light with a 7 foot ceiling? Only

for sitting subjects? I don't mean to sound derogitory and if you're compleetely strapped

for cash you might not have much of a choice, but if possible go for more.

In almost all circumstances I recommend two 500 watt-second packs over a single 1,000

watt-second packs. this gives you more versatility and redundancy,

I also recommend starting with as few sources, preferably just one, as possible in lighting

any set up and relying on reflectors and flags to shape the light. And I teach my students

to light in

layers from front to back.

The hair light problem occurred to me, and I was just out there staring at the strangely shaped garage (the back wall is at an odd angle). Fortunately, there are no building codes (that are enforceable or enforced), so I am thinking about adding about 10 feet on the front of the garage and going up about 10 feet or so. Thanks for the responses, what you say makes sense. So, two 500ws flashes and a 300ws ish and a big reflector?

With a small studio I'd paint the walls black or hang black curtains and then use styrofoam

in different sizes (leave or paint one side white and one side black) to reflect or choke the

light as you please. You could also use this technique to bounce light from above for a

hair light, without the need for a lot of head room to get started.

Ellis has you going in the right direction: two 500 ws packs. Not only with extra versatility and backup systems, but you can't buy half of a 1000ws pack. Your financial commitment can be spread out by getting one pack and two heads now, and the next set whenever...I suggest that hair lights look phony, and you certainly won't need hair lights <i>and</i> a background light, unless you're going for that Walmart look... t<div>009uXu-20190884.jpg.031497ccaef47d129536189901f0d064.jpg</div>

I agree with Tom and Ellis suggestion for two 500ws powerpacks on budget terms but for

quality, versitility and system I disagree. With a Profoto pro 7a (a 1200 ws power unit) you

can distribute the energy level symmetrically or asymmetrically among (up to) three flash

heads and distribution can be done over a range of six f-stops. It has fine adjustment in

intervals of 1/6 of an f-stop, over a range of 1.5 f-stops. The color temperature can be

lowered to achieve warmer hues, in eight 50? K intervals. And it has auto-bracketing,

allowing the generator to be preadjusted for three energy level sequences, resulting in

three exposures separated by 1/3, 1/2, or 2/3 of an f-stop. That's a lot of controll and

variables in one power-pack. And If you need the extra power you have it. You can always

reduce power, just move your lights further away or use ND filters. Besides that, you can

rent Profoto equipment in most places and get good deals on used equipment. <p>

Okay, that's my 2 cents. Good luck.

Wow, some incredible observations and comments. Many things I hadn't thought about. For some reason, Ellis' suggestion of two lights went in eye and out the other (or was it the ears?). TWO lights only.

Walmart look, lol. Yep, as I think about it, you are right on that. I figured that more lights would give more flexibility...a reflector for a hairlight...brilliant, that is so obvious (pounding forehead on wall).

Okay, what about monolights vs, powerpacks? I had assumed that the power could be split asymetrically between the heads on ALL power packs (glad I asked here).

The studio is changing, I'm comandeering the master bedroom (about 70% of the garage space but with 10' ceilings) instead. Less walls to be built and a corner of it will be a home for enlarger and developing trays :).

"I suggest that hair lights look phony, and you certainly won't need hair lights and a background light, unless you're going for that Walmart look... "

A background light is certainly essential, unless you like your subjects "floating" in deep space. What about changing background colors with gels (you need a background light). What about rendering the background with the right color or darkness, you will need to have control of the background (unless you like plain black all the time). Most of the time you need some seperation between subject and background, but you must also know how to use it. Too much gives a wallmart look, not enough isn't good either.

A hair light is an accent light, Karsh always used accent lights and his images were not phony.The more lights you have, the more you can do. As to power and number of lights needed, that is something only you can decide based on the style you want to achieve. I would listen to Phillips.

I prefer having at least 800 w/s per head (min), but that is me, I can always turn it down or move it back, it's a pain moving the lights in too close (subjects won't like a modelling light in their face, and eye pupils get smaller). Better to have more then later complain. Power gets used up fast with softbox, umbrellas, etc. I assume you plan on moving to medium format.

I'll clarify, and only because it's you, Alton...<p>My statement that a background light is superior to a hair light is, of course, my personal preference for in studio portraits. I <i>did</i> say that both a hairlight <i>and</i> a background light was "Walmart" (meaning the constant application of <i>both</i> to <i>all</i> portraits), and in a small studio with a manufactured backdrop this Walmart aesthetic is difficult to avoid and becomes more difficult with each additional light. Karsh was pretty good with light placement and understood the concept of motivated lighting... that is: lighting effects that can be subconciously recognized as emanating from "real world" sources like a window or door. Walmart lighting does not depend on this aesthetic. It is formulaic and static... uniformly applied no matter what (or who) the subject may be.<p>Also, having separate packs lets you fire them separately, enabling special motion effects and double exposure trickery not possible with one pack. See Michael Greco's creative portrait book for examples.<p>For someone just beginning to build their own light, having more lights just steepens the learning curve. Try making your portraits with one light, then two, then see if you really want or need four lights.<p>I have found a large source very close makes a beautiful portrait light (my above sample is a 32x46 inch box just outside the frame). If you place a large softbox a foot or two away from your subject, 800 ws will probably get you a very small aperture, which might prove to be a problem in a small studio, unless you <i>want</i> the backdrop in focus. I find myself using setting in the 25 to 100ws range for most portraits of one person. <p>I'll post a 2 light portrait, but if you visit my website, you'll see lots of portraits made with one or two lights... t<div>009yIZ-20273184.jpg.1638d71f365bdba3581f87971844d269.jpg</div>