Setting Aspect Ratio When Cropping an Image in Photoshop Elements 2.0

When you've got the selection tool active, there is a toolbar across the top for it. In there is a drop down box. I can't remember exactly what it's called. Something like "constrained crop". It should be obvious when you look at the choices, though. Once you choose that, there are height and width boxes you can fill in. Put your 4x6 or whatever in there.

Now, when you go to select an area to crop, you will only be able to select an area with that aspect ratio.

To answer a question that you didn't ask, just in case you run into it like I do: What if I don't like the crop that I can do at that aspect ratio?

1) Make the crop you like for aesthetic reasons

2) Go into resize image.

3) UNcheck resample image

4) Change (um.. I forget if it's DPI or PPI and I don't have it handy..) Something in there, change to 300. This won't actually change the image any, but now the size will be something like 5.33x4 or whatever you cropped it at.

5) Go into resize canvas.

6) Set that to the aspect ratio you want. (eg: 4x6)

7) Now the canvas will be at the right size so if you get it printed at a place like Wal-Mart that can't handle custom sizes, it will come out right. The picture will have an odd-sized border depending on your crop, but you can always cut that off the print.

Hope that helps,