Set-up for Basketball Photography

Discussion in 'Sports' started by randrew1, Jun 8, 2016.

1. I have an opportunity to invest in (or donate to) a basketball training facility. I know the head of the operation and am very comfortable with his leadership. The investment (or donation) could be cash or it could be in fixtures and/or equipment to enable photography. I shoot a lot of basketball games and don't need much in the way of accommodations--just enough space to sit on the floor behind the basket and decent lighting.
    I rarely shoot videos, but this might be an opportunity. Does anyone have experience with setting up a video system to record basketball games? Is it possible to set up a system that would record videos unattended? I would appreciate any comments. I would highly value input from anyone with experience.

2. Ron,
    hi. Hope the following helps to a degree.
    I shoot the Sheffield Sharks BBL team (UK, don't get excited!). I also shoot my son's games which I used to do using the same gear Nikon D700 + 70-200. This past season though I put all that away for my son's games and recorded video using a GoPro on a monopod from the half-way line. I used a monopod rather than a tripod as I wanted something a bit more mobile and higher up as well.
    The results were quite good (when I remembered to pan enough as I didn't have the picture back) but do rely on manual operation.
    What you lose is a degree of detail at each end as you are in the middle of the court on a wide-ish lens. At the senior Sharks games, which are covered by the local TV station, they use three cameras as a minimum - one in a corner at each end and one up in the gallery. Again these are manned and have the benefit of a zoom lens.
    If you were to leave a video camera unmanned somewhere I think that it would have to be up out of the way - if it was anywhere near the court then odds are that something will hit it at some point!
    Why not find out what the video will be used for? If it's for players/parents to watch the game back then something mid-court would probably suffice. If the coach wants to review plays then it might be best to base the video camera at the end they are shooting towards.
    If you are going be under the basket anyway then why not also operate a small video camera such as a GoPro from there as well? You can get attachments to put it into you hotshoe. Though it does go a bit weird if you move your camera a bit - esp. going into portrait mode! Or have a video camera on a small tripod next to you?
    Also bear in mind that video will start to eat up your hard-drive once you start to do a few games!
    Regards
    andyc