Set-up for Basketball Photography

randrew1

<p>I have an opportunity to invest in (or donate to) a basketball training facility. I know the head of the operation and am very comfortable with his leadership. The investment (or donation) could be cash or it could be in fixtures and/or equipment to enable photography. I shoot a lot of basketball games and don't need much in the way of accommodations--just enough space to sit on the floor behind the basket and decent lighting. </p>

<p>I rarely shoot videos, but this might be an opportunity. Does anyone have experience with setting up a video system to record basketball games? Is it possible to set up a system that would record videos unattended? I would appreciate any comments. I would highly value input from anyone with experience. </p>

<p>Ron,<br>

hi. Hope the following helps to a degree.<br>

I shoot the Sheffield Sharks BBL team (UK, don't get excited!). I also shoot my son's games which I used to do using the same gear Nikon D700 + 70-200. This past season though I put all that away for my son's games and recorded video using a GoPro on a monopod from the half-way line. I used a monopod rather than a tripod as I wanted something a bit more mobile and higher up as well.<br>

The results were quite good (when I remembered to pan enough as I didn't have the picture back) but do rely on manual operation.<br>

What you lose is a degree of detail at each end as you are in the middle of the court on a wide-ish lens. At the senior Sharks games, which are covered by the local TV station, they use three cameras as a minimum - one in a corner at each end and one up in the gallery. Again these are manned and have the benefit of a zoom lens.<br>

If you were to leave a video camera unmanned somewhere I think that it would have to be up out of the way - if it was anywhere near the court then odds are that something will hit it at some point!<br>

Why not find out what the video will be used for? If it's for players/parents to watch the game back then something mid-court would probably suffice. If the coach wants to review plays then it might be best to base the video camera at the end they are shooting towards.<br>

If you are going be under the basket anyway then why not also operate a small video camera such as a GoPro from there as well? You can get attachments to put it into you hotshoe. Though it does go a bit weird if you move your camera a bit - esp. going into portrait mode! Or have a video camera on a small tripod next to you?<br>

Also bear in mind that video will start to eat up your hard-drive once you start to do a few games!<br>

Regards<br>

andyc</p>