Service for Contax RTS?

Hi,

I recently acquired a Contax RTS in what seems like nearly pristine condition, except that there is a lot of dirt/fibers/whatever visible through the viewfinder. I'd like to get it cleaned professionally, if possible, if it doesn't cost too much. Does anyone have any recommendations for shops that might handle such tasks?

If not, would this be a risky and/or difficult DIY task for someone not used to working on cameras?

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

If it is just dust and fibers on the mirror and/or focusing screen it will not affect the image and you are probably better off just leaving it alone. Do not try to attemp cleaning the mirror. It is probably a front surface mirror and is very easily scratched. If the camera has a mirror lock up you may be able to lock the mirror in the up position and very carefully clean the bottom of the focusing with a camel hair brush. Do not use compressed air. It will just blow the dust around and you may damage something. As long as the camera works well you will be better off just leaving it alone. Wait until it needs service and have it cleaned then.
  • Like 1

If it is just dust and fibers on the mirror and/or focusing screen it will not affect the image and you are probably better off just leaving it alone. Do not try to attemp cleaning the mirror. It is probably a front surface mirror and is very easily scratched. If the camera has a mirror lock up you may be able to lock the mirror in the up position and very carefully clean the bottom of the focusing with a camel hair brush. Do not use compressed air. It will just blow the dust around and you may damage something. As long as the camera works well you will be better off just leaving it alone. Wait until it needs service and have it cleaned then.

Hi, Robert! Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying about it being better to leave it alone, for now, but it's unusable in this condition. It's probably hard to imagine how bad the "dirt" is, and it shocked me after seeing how clean the exterior was, but it is almost like looking through a bush. Or maybe cammo netting.

I suspect the previous owner attempted to clean a normal amount of dust out of there, and ended up making it 100 times worse, just as you warned me about doing. And just as I feared, although I'm not sure it could actually get worse.

But, that's why I'd like to get it serviced. I just don't know where.

I've no personal experience of this particular camera, but the focusing screen is apparently interchangeable by the user, as here:

Contax RTS Shared Resources - Focusing Screens

Once the screen is removed it may be possible to improve it by washing it in warm soapy water, followed by rinsing with pure water and carefully drying. At your own risk of course. Alternatively you may be able to track down a new focusing screen for it.

Dirt on the mirror won't be visible through the finder, except as a darkening of the view. The dirt is most likely on the focusing screen.

Edited by John Seaman

Wow. That must be really dirty. I was thinking of just the normal dust and stuff. John is right. I think you can take the focusing screen out and clean it or get another one. Just make sure you follow the directions for getting the screen out. You do not want to make it worse. I do not think I have ever seen a camera that dirty. It sort of makes you wonder how it got that way especially since you say everything else is so pristine. Good luck. If you do some searching you should be able to find someone to give it cleaning

I've no personal experience of this particular camera, but the focusing screen is apparently interchangeable by the user, as here:

Contax RTS Shared Resources - Focusing Screens

Once the screen is removed it may be possible to improve it by washing it in warm soapy water, followed by rinsing with pure water and carefully drying. At your own risk of course. Alternatively you may be able to track down a new focusing screen for it.

Dirt on the mirror won't be visible through the finder, except as a darkening of the view. The dirt is most likely on the focusing screen.

Yes, I agree about where the dirt is probably located. And I'm hoping that's it. Thanks for the link! That's very useful.

Wow. That must be really dirty. I was thinking of just the normal dust and stuff. John is right. I think you can take the focusing screen out and clean it or get another one. Just make sure you follow the directions for getting the screen out. You do not want to make it worse. I do not think I have ever seen a camera that dirty. It sort of makes you wonder how it got that way especially since you say everything else is so pristine. Good luck. If you do some searching you should be able to find someone to give it cleaning

Yeah, it was quite a shock. I've looked at lots of cameras in worse shape than this one, and I've never seen anything like it.

Just wondering if you ever got it cleaned up.

Haven't tried, yet. I don't like to rush into things that have the potential for disaster. I have plenty of other cameras :) And lots of other things that need doing. :(