Series E 100mm repair

andylynn

<p>I have a Series E 100mm f/2.8, the version without the metallic grip ring, with oily blades. I can't find disassembly instructions for this model and don't like to just start unscrewing things. Does anybody have a reference to instructions or some guidance on it?</p>

<p>mm remember seeing a repair manual for all e-series on fleebay recently...</p>

<p>Not sure if i'm allowed to publish the link here... but maybe you can search for the title if you're intrested...<br>

("Nikon Series E Lenses Repair Manual")</p>

<p> </p>

<h1 id="itemTitle" > </h1>

<p>Okay, got it. For posterity and people who find this on Google:</p>

<p>You need a JIS screwdriver set. DO NOT attempt with Philips screwdrivers.</p>

<p>Put front and back caps on the lens and turn to closest focus to extend the barrel. Now look at the plastic ring that has the m/ft and focus scale indicators. It has 3 black JIS screwheads. Remove the screws and put them somewhere safe.</p>

<p>Now the focus can hyperextend and the barrel can be turned and removed. Set aside the rear assembly and place the front assembly front-down on a table. See the three screws around that internal lens element and remove them. Put aside the small lens element.</p>

<p>The aperture blades are now exposed. Use repeated applications and careful extractions of strong rubbing alcohol to get the oil, intermingled with working the aperture with a small screwdriver in the slot.</p>

<p>Let it dry then reverse the steps to reassemble. Warning: This is more difficult than disassembly.</p>

<p>Out of curiosity, why are <em>you</em> taking this lens apart? This sounds a lot more like something that a qualified repairman should be doing. Aperture blades are <em>very thin</em> and fragile and if you bend one in the process of your trying to clean the oil off the blades, your repair bill from a <em>qualified repairman</em> might very well <em>exceed the value of the lens</em>. The 100mm f/2.8 Series E was not a bad lens, but it was not a very good one either compared to a lot of the other Series E lenses and for what you can find a good condition 105mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor for on Fleabay or KEH, you might be better served just to get a 105mm Nikkor, a <em>far superior</em> lens, than taking your Series E apart and running the very real risk of screwing it up if you are not qualified to repair it.</p>

<p>Just my 2 cents.</p>