Serial number on Nikkor lens cap?

mihai_ciuca

<p>Hello!<br>

I just bought an excellent copy of a late produced 85/2 AI-S. It came with caps but I am sure the front cap, even is in a good condition, is from an older lens. What surprised me is that it includes a serial number and I wonder if this is the serial number of the original lens it covered.<br>

The cap has engraved on the front: NIKKOR and on the inside:<br>

52mm<br>

J.U.M. 515,897<br>

NIPPON KOGAKU<br>

JAPAN<br>

I'm curious if this info can help identify the original lens of this cap or not.</p>

<p>As Dan indicated above, these caps are from the early non-AI era. I believe the original caps had metal push pins, and the later caps had plastic push tabs secured to the snap ring by a single screw. And the number would be a patent number or similar, not a s/n.</p>

<p>The original series of "<em>Nikon</em>" lens caps were similarly constructed (relief at bottom, metal snap ring, removable push tabs) but with a raised black "<em>Nikon</em>" in place of "<em>Nikkor</em>".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are collectors on eBay that will pay decent prices for vintage Nikon caps (front or rear) in excellent condition.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I collect what is in the middle between the front and the rear cap :-) If you know someone looking for exchange opportunities, I'm ready!</p>