Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Manyara, Tarangir in Dry Season?

harri

<p>Please help! It will be my first in Africa!! <br>

I am planning to go to Northern Tanzania in mid-July and take some awesome safari photos...<br>

It has been however difficult to judge how the wildlife activity is over there, now during the dry season. Many sources (especially the tour operators...) say that Serengeti is a year-round destination but I have also read that lots of wildlife migrates north to Masai Mara...should I go there instead? Or is Serenegeti okay during this time, also?<br>

I would be grateful for your expert views.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not sure about July, but I went a couple of years ago in February which I believe is between the wet and dry seasons. We had some rain but not too bad. The Serengeti was very green and lush. I think July is around the start of the wildebeest migration, but not positive. Do a google search for "serengeti july" and you'll se a number of hits that might be helpful.</p>

<p>in July the massive wildebeest migration is, unless i'm truly mistaken, in the Maasai Mara. Just before the rains, which start in mid-March, the migration is in the Serengeti. However, I will caution you this way about the Serengeti: it's truly massive. In Swahili it means "infinite plain" and that it is! You may drive through it for three days and see very few animals - not because they're not there but because the place so big.</p>

<p>If you wanna see tons of wildlife - and take those picture you seem so certain will happen - go to the Ngorongoro crater. There the wildlife is very concentrated and you're almost guaranteed you'll see amazing things. As for the shots, they're anything but guaranteed or easy my friend....</p>

<p> I went on this same trip 4 years ago in mid august. I saw quite a bit at each location, with the most wildlife in the Ngorongoro Crater. It was truly a life event to see such beauty.<br>

If you stay at the Safari Park Hotel in Niarobi, order the Royal Eggs with coffee when you wake up at 3 am from jet lag. $10 brought to your room. Killer!</p>

<p>In July the wildebeest are in the northern Serengeti. and they tend to cross the Grumeti river around mid- July, so that seems to be the spot to be. It is a spectacular once a year event ! Of course you cannot tell the moment exactly and they can be a few weeks early or a few weeks late. I don't know how much time you are going to spend over there, but I would suggest a minimum of a week in Northern Tanzania, spending a minimum of four nights in the Serengeti itself. if possible try to be in one of the migratory camps. Drivers and/or guides usually are well aware of the whereabouts of the wildlife as they stay in contact with each other over the radio, and keep each other posted on the migrations.<br />Another suggestion is to certainly go into the Ngorongoro crater, because of the abundancy of wildlife overthere. It is on top your best chance to see black rhino in the wild. You should, if possible, also spend one or two days in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which is lesser known but very interesting with respect to wildlife and right beneath the crater. It is very well recommendend because wildlife film crews such as National Geographics go there to shoot images.<br />In July also the south of Tanzania with Selous Game Reserve and Ruaha National Park are ideal.<br />Best luck, and have a wonderful trip.</p>