senior portraits

gillian_ireland

The least expensive lighting for outdoor settings is available light, but it isn't always the easiest. Your XTi has a built-in flash which can provide some fill in difficult light, provided you're close enough to the subject.

Here's what I would suggest:

1. Successful available light shooting is all about light and location, so first become your own location scout. Look for places that provide bright, open shade and uncluttered or interesting backgrounds. It's even better if there is a large reflecting surface nearby, like a neutral colored building or wall to provide fill and warmth. Do some practice sessions to see which locations and times of day work best. Use a wide aperture for shallow depth of field if you want to isolate your subject from the background, and be sure to expose correctly for your subject in brightly backlit scenes.

2. I like collapsable reflectors for portablilty, but you can easily make your own reflectors from large pieces of cardboard and aluminum foil. Just crumple the foil a bit, then flatten it on the cardboard and tape it down. Dull side out gives a nice even reflection, but the shiny side reflects a bit more light. Now find someone to hold your reflector(s) while you shoot. If you're working with friends, maybe take two at a time and have one assist with reflectors as the other poses. Also have your assistant watch for hair and makeup issues while you shoot, especially if it's breezy. You're really gonna hate retouching stray hair from an otherwise great shot, especially around the eyes (trust me on this).

3. Practice using the fill flash settings on your XTi. It's a pretty smart camera, but it may give more fill than you like, or less than you expect in different situations. You'll mainly want to use it to fill shadows around the eye sockets under overcast skies, and to reduce the harshness of shadows in direct sun. If you have a choice, avoid those situations and stick with your open shade locations and reflectors.

4. If you're shooting JPGs, use a custom white balance for each location. If you shoot RAW, set white balance to automatic, and correct as needed in post.

5. Most important: practice these things ahead of time, so you can concentrate on moments and expressions while shooting. Your subjects will not be at ease if you aren't. Take some fun shots to get things going and relax your subject, and never rush the shoot--good pictures will jump in front of your lens soon enough if you're ready for them.

I'm a beginner myself but here is what I got when I did my first senior sesison done at a park in natural lighting:

Make sure you don't shoot with the senior facing the sun, this will make them squint and cast shadows.

Shoot from every angle.

Don't be afraid of being snap happy. The more photos you get, the more chances increase of a good shot.

Get in their face for some close-ups.

Avoid to many distraction in the background.

Do the corny poses, it looks good and the moms like it.

Make your subject feel comfortable, crack jokes, ask them about school, sports, or whatever while shooting so they relate to you and you get them at ease.

Good luck!

1) Look for vertical surfaces in your setting. Huge trees with high canopies don't photograph well unless they have addition dark vegetation behind them. The shady sides of photogenic buildings with lots of landscaping are good bets.

2) Avoid anything with direct sunlight on it while composing. It shows up as blank white. You may have to PhotoShop anything that appears if you can't avoid it. Above all, avoid direct sunlight on the subject.

3) Avoid shooting in the middle of the day. It is nearly impossible to compose and light your subject well during that time. The closer to dawn or dusk the better as long as you have enough light.

4) Learn how to set up "short light" outside. Short light is when the shadow side of the subject's face is towards the camera.

Hope this helps.