semigloss premium paper icm profile

Dan: The Epson Premium Glossy profile should work for all the Epson Premium papers, not just the Glossy. It should have come on the CD with the rest of the Epson printing software that shipped with the printer.

I've never even seen a separate "Premium Semigloss" or "Premium Lustre" profile.

Andy,<br>

The response on the paper is absolutely different. They have a different surface and with a SP2000P or SP2200 they show different metamerism characteristics to my eye. Also, Epson has different profiles for each paper with. As for SP890 profiles, I found the Epson Australia has profiles for printers that US does not. I'd say they have them for your printer, but I don't know what they call the SP890 overseas.

Nick: You're probably right that, with the 2200 and 2000p, the results on glossy and semigloss papers are different unless you use surface-specific profiles.

But those are pigment-ink printers where the pigment tends to sit on the surface - thus the surface has more influence over the final image.

Dan is asking about the Epson 890 - which uses DYE-based inks instead of pigments. The dyes soak in rather than sitting on the surface.

I use the Epson 1280 - the 13x19 version of the 890. And having made over 100 color prints each on Premium Glossy, Premium Lustre and Premium Semi-gloss papers, I can assure you that using Epson's glossy paper profile produces IDENTICAL prints (colors, tones, contrast, etc.) on all of these papers when using the 1280/890 inks. They are indistinguishable (except for the glossy/non-glossy surface inherent in the paper itself).

Dan: I use the Premium Glossy Paper profile rather than the film profile. If anything the shadows tend to go a bit magenta, especially right out of the printer. But the magenta fades to neutral after drying for an hour or so.

Epson and Ilford used to recommend the "film" profile for their premium photo papers - but that dates back to before they created the "Premium Glossy Paper" profile.

Since 'right' color is often partly a question of personal taste, the best idea is to make a few 'half-letter' (5.5"x8.5") test prints of the same image and try out a few of the profiles to see what they do.

Remember that if you are using an ICM profile, you should have "No color adjustment" selected under page setup/options/advanced, and select the same media type (e.g. Premium Glossy Paper) there that matches the ICM profile (e.g. "Epson 890 - Premium Glossy Photo Paper") that you chose under Print Options.