Selling used Nikon gear

jphotog

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>What are you guys experience of selling used gear? I would like to sell a couple of lenses that I do not use much:</p>

<p>Carl Zeiss 100mm makro planar<br>

50mm f/1.4D<br>

20mm f/2.8D<br>

and a few more</p>

<p>and perhaps my D700 body.</p>

<p>I am looking for a combination of a decent price and minimum hassle. Is eBay the best option? I live in the Netherlands.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Jonas Fjellstedt</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had two good experiences with Craig's List in the last couple of weeks, selling a lens and a tripod. Arranging for a face to face meeting in a public place yielded serious buyers for each item. Pricing items reasonably -- that is, for less than I paid new -- made for quick sales. I was lucky in that, even though I had used both items for years, I tend not to damage equipment, so that they were in excellent condition. You have Craig's List in the Netherlands. Perhaps it will work for you.</p>

<p>Considering the more advanced stuff what you're selling ( CZ Planar, 1.4/50mm and maybe D700) I would try the Nikon gear specialized sites like Nikongear, Nikonians and Nikon cafe</p>

<p>Apart from the fact that on those sites people are more ' in the know' also they are less anonymous as far as the members are concerned so there is less risk of fraude (although it remains the Internet, and you should always act with care of course)</p>

<p>I think Wouter pretty much summed it up.</p>

<p>I've sold 1 lens in the past year through fotoapparatuur.nl, and in the last 3 years or so I've bought and sold a couple of times through dutchphotozone.com/.nl . That last one would be the best place probably, but they require a minimum of 50 posts before you're allowed to sell stuff there. though you could try to register and ask for dispensation from the moderators i guess.<br>

My least favourite option would be marktplaats.nl, because there're more scammers and amateurs (who wouldn't know the value of your lenses) around there. But I suppose that would be comparable to craigs.</p>

<p>Ebay and gregslist. Ebay is good with Paypal because you can sell easily to distant buyers, but you get hit with the selling fees. gregslist if good for local face-to-face deals only.</p>

<p>Recent sales by me: 16-85 VR DX on ebay for $515, and a 28-70/2.8 AF-S on gregslist for $900.</p>

<p>I repeatedly sold used photographic equipment vie ebay in Europe which often resulted in a stunningly high selling price. That was more tha a compensation for the ebay fees. In Europe prices for new gear are relatively high in some countries. So the buyer and the seller can benefit from such a deal, more than from a national platform.</p>