Selling "Printable" Photographs on Etsey or Ebay

Discussion in 'Business of Photography' started by Glenn McCreery, Sep 19, 2020.

1. I was unfamiliar with Etsey before reading the posting below, so I looked it up. The first thing that I noticed is this listing for a set of three printable landscape photographs at,
    Set of 3 Green Mountain Forest Landscape Prints. Scandinavian | Etsy

The price of $5.87 seems rather low unless you sell a ton of them, which the seller apparently does. Selling printable photographs rather than prints is concept that I had not previously considered. Does anyone here have experience with selling printable photographs?

2. Hmmm, interesting, I never heard of this either (but I never look at etsey). I see that to purchase them printed and framed the price increases dramatically. Also the pictures themselves are rather generic, the sort you see at Ikea and other mass market home furnishing stores for sale.

3. I'd be curious as to what portion of the sales are actually just for the downloadable files as opposed to prints. And how do the prices of the prints compare to getting similar prints made of your own photos.

The downloadable files are not that useful. I mean they could be a background on your monitor or a screen saver. Or you could get your own prints made. I'm sure the idea is to get you to purchase prints from Etsey.