Selling photos from an event

Discussion in 'Business of Photography' started by steve_vh, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to sit next to the cage at a local MMA/Kickboxing event last Sunday to take photos. There was no agreement for me to sit there, I just plucked up the courage to ask and they said 'yes, no problem'.
    I am now sitting with lots of pics and I'm not sure what my rights are. Am I allowed to sell them, and if so do I need to get permission from the fight organisers? I'm also not sure if I can post them on the web without permission?
    Your opinions would be appreciated!
    P.S. I live in South Africa

2. I would be surprised if the fight organizers would let you use and especially sell any images with-out compensation to them. Check the back of your ticket, if you still have it, for any photo rights information, then make an appointment with a local, knowledgeable attorney to answer your questions. Any "legal advise" you get here will likely be based solely on speculation and assumptions.

3. As far as I can remember the ticket had no terms on it, it was a simple business card like ticket.
    I'm going to try and contact some local pro photographers and get their opinions before getting hold of an attorney.
    Thanks for your help Bill.