Selling off surplus limited edition prints/proofs at lower prices

Before going commercial, I sold fine art photo prints, usually limited edition. I haven't for years now and I have a boatload of images here I want to sell at greatly reduced prices if possible, rather than simply shredding them. They're unsigned, mostly proofs, though some are also ones I "retired" from their frames.

My concern is that people who paid higher prices for these images might be upset that I'm selling off versions, even though they're unsigned/un-numbered, at much lower prices. Really, IMHO, they're more like posters than final prints, but I can see their point. It's not a concern, of course, if none of a series sold, and for most of the ones I have, that's going to be the case. I'm think I'm answering my own question here - probably better to toss the ones that are part of an already sold series, but though I'd see what others thought. I hate the idea of shredding good work, but it's time to purge here...

Thanks

Chris Hutcheson

A 'Limited Edition' is "limited". My view is that as well as an Artwork, it is also a Principle, that the Client is purchasing.

I have bought quite a few 'limited editions', mainly etchings; and also I have sold a few of my photography works as 'limited editions'.

I neither care about the nuances of the legalize nor any legal precedent: I know that the plates for the etchings that I have purchased were destroyed and the few 'limited editions' of my work that I have sold - the film and proofs were also destroyed.

I think the actions that you choose will be predicated on the answer to this question:

1. Do you agree with the principle I have outlined apropos "Limited Edition"?

I think that the more important question to ask yourself is:

2. If yes to 1 above, why have you waited so long?

WW

Never having actually bought one, as I understand "limited edition" there is a set number to be sold,

and each has a "m of n" notation. If you haven't yet sold all "m", it seems to me that you can sell

them, even at a lower price.

Not knowing the details of the usual "limited edition", it seems to me that if they are different

size, shape, or some other way not part of the set, then they wouldn't count in the

numbering. For an appropriate meaning of different.

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the same, but maybe close enough:

Edition (printmaking) - Wikipedia

mostly describes prints from mechanical printing plates, and the limited edition is

based on the working life of the plates. (Or maybe not.)

They do include room for proofs, and others in addition to the numbered versions,

with appropriate marking, and also documenting.

It also describes some (US) state laws regarding such sales.

-- glen

If you don't violate the "Limited" part of your promise to the buyers (which is already a watered down concept as many artists makes additional "AP's" and editions in many different minor size variations) then it is just like you are having a sale - which certainly may piss somebody off, as it would if you bought something at full price and later saw it discounted.

If you originally sold your work with the pretense that it would appreciate in value, you have different problem.

Niels

• 2 months later...