Sell d810 for rp?

jacobcullen

I had $7k Canon 5diii and 2.8 lenses stolen in Hawaii last year, used insurance for new PC and getting by with my Nikon but no glass other than a 35 f2d. I want to go mirrorless and the Canon glass is appealing. Should I keep the 810 or sell it to help fund the rp with 24-105 kit? What do you all think?

Both Nikon and Canon have just released very good entries into the full frame mirrorless market place. It is going to take time for new lenses specific to these bodies to be released. So for me, you need to consider the full range of Canon and Nikon lenses that can be used on these cameras. Nikon and Canon both make poor, good, and exceptional lenses depending on price point. Lens selection however is not identical. While both companies are always introducing new lenses there may be one particular lens in one line-up that you insist on having so consider this first.

Your D810 is still a very good camera, but I do understand that you want to chose the camera you want for the future before re-investing in very expensive lenses. However, I know first release camera bodies these days are pretty good quality wise, but that is my concern. I am also concerned that as good as these entry cameras by Nikon and Canon are, they are not up to the level of Sony yet. I do have a Sony mirrorless crop body and a Canon 5DS R and I am not sold on mirrorless for all of my needs yet.

Spend some time in-store with a mirrorless as much as you can, even rent one for a week-end and spend time with it. This is a big investment. Even having done this, consider if you can wait until the second wave of Canon and Nikon mirrorless bodies come along in a year or two since both will make significant upgrades and by then they will both have released more mirrorless specific lenses.

• Like 1

From what I read, it seems that the RP uses a lot of older (cheaper) technology to get to that low price point. So you may not be satisfied with the camera, compared to the 5Diii and D810. Research the camera. You may need to move up-market.

Also WHAT do you shoot or plan to shoot?

My limited experience with mirrorless is that they are not yet up to the task for fast sports. With the exception of the $4,000 Sony.

Right now both Canon and Nikon are relying on adapted legacy lenses for their mirrorless cameras. It will take both companies several years to flesh out their mirrorless lens roadmap, and where in that lens roadmap is YOUR lens? If you are lucky, your lens is in the first year; if you are not lucky, it could be 3 or 4 years for your native mirrorless lens to be produced. Nikon has published a mirrorless lens roadmap, I have not seen one from Canon.

I use both Sony a6000 mirrorless with several lenses and a full range of Canon DSLR and L lenses. For me it's a no brainer to get the RP camera body and it even comes with an adapter that lets me use my Canon lenses. Both Ken Rock and Bythom (both Nikon guys) had good things to say about the RP unlike Crowe above (he's right that Sony is more technologically advanced and has a much larger arsenal of lenses for mirrorless). I think for my purpose and use it would be a great camera, small and light, with a Canon 6D II sensor. I like the color palette of the Canon cameras better than the Sony but only by a little, specially in the skin tones. The price is better for me right now and I could slowly phase in some R lenses over time. Cameras are just tools to accomplish what kind of images you are into. There are a lot of people that shoot Olympus OM-D with great success, along with people that shoot Nikon. I used Leica until the other companies were producing affordable digital cameras that were 21st century technology. Some things I miss and some things that I don't. I intend to prioritize an RP very soon.

Both Ken Rock and Bythom (both Nikon guys) had good things to say about the RP

As I read him, Thom complains quite a bit about the RP, for its properties other than light weight and low price. Elsewhere, he writes about the dissonance between the fine "L" lenses Canon has produced for mirrorless and the RP, which he describes as a low-end body. A lack of IBIS is a serious drawback when most lenses will lack their own stabilization.

Agree completely with wgpinc. Canon have a winner here. Price is great and you can use all your old EF lenses and there are sweet R lenses coming soon (some premium, some not). You are not spending much to get there, so when they produce the bodies that have all the things that people seem to assume are vital for photography today (high dynamic range, IBIS, twin card slots etc etc), which if they are not available makes good photography virtually impossible (sarcasm alert), they can buy that without having wasted too much money in the meantime.

Elsewhere, he writes about the dissonance between the fine "L" lenses Canon has produced for mirrorless and the RP, which he describes as a low-end body.

They have all sorts of lenses coming and they will have more consumer lenses, probably this year. There is little that the RP will be unable to do for the normal photographer. If they are serious bird photogs or fast moving sports photogs it will not be ideal, but the image quality for normal use will be excellent (like it is for virtually all current FF cameras).

Robin Smith

"I'm surprised that Canon didn't introduce their 24-240 RF lens with the RP body"

They are selling the RP as a kit with the EF 24-105 STM (plus adaptor) and a kit with the 24-105R. I guess along with the pile of 6DII sensors they had in their available parts bin, Canon must also have a bunch of 24-105 STMs taking up space in their warehouse they want to unload. I think the RP will sell well with EOS users who really want a FF lightweight camera at a good price.

• 1 year later...

Moderator Note:

This conversation is closed.

The OP was using sophisticated spamming techniques, some of that member’s posts have been deleted and the account is now permanently banned.

Thank you to the members who, in good faith, responded to what seemed to be a legitimate Opening Question and their responses remain, perhaps being of assistance to others.

William