This is a very good question. It's probably an individual process that originates with the pattern of reward or criticism that our parents or people around us exhibit. We pattern our behavior and what we need for the creative process (again, individual) with what gives us pleasure. Personally, I have thrived from other's perceived destructive behavior...in photography, i have learned to not give a darn what other people think about my pictures. 33 years ago when I started, I did. I survived the 60's, drugs, rock and roll, even working for the wrong people! (Hustler Magazine for a long 3 weeks)! But in the end, you have only yourself and your equipment...you gotta do what you gotta do!

Great question Keith! Here's what I think....

Self -doubt provides the desire and the need necessary to take chances and

be creative. If one's assuredness about one's work is unchallenged then no

desire strong enough exists to prompt further creativity. I am of course

assuming the creative process to be one of development and not one of

production following a given model.

I would suggest self-doubt to be destructive when one allows it to censor the

work, meaning altering or adding or omitting something to suit a need

prescribed by someone or something other than the creator herself.

I think it's important to have faith in one's abilities through thick and thin. You are going to have bad days and even bad years, but keep trying for the suprises, they are worth it and won't happen any other way.

I feel sorriest for those who have achieved a modicum of commercial/critical success with this or that formula, which they then feel obligated to repeat ad nauseum.

This is a good question but I have my doubts for an answer (pun intended). Self doubt can be either destructive or constructive. As for me, I always have self doubt with my photos (I'm my own worst critic) and other areas in life. I am an IT professional and have to take certification exams every couple of years to stay current - every exam I go to take, I am convinced that I will fail. Consequently, I tend to "over-prepare" for these exams (haven't failed one yet). This is the same with my photography - are my photos good? No - but they are getting better as I learn because I am never satisfied with them I always strive for a theoretical perfection. I can either give into the self-doubt and not take exams or shoot photos or use it as a vehicle for improvement.

Basically, self doubt is a double-edged sword - you can use it to reach new heights or be paralized. I read a while back about a minor comedian that was in a show (don't remember his name). Before he went on, he had his usual self-doubts. On before him was Jerry Lewis, when Jerry Lewis finished his act and came off stage he went over to this comedian and asked "How was I, was I any good, did I wow the audience?" The comedian was surprised that Jerry Lewis was asking HIS opinion - it was then he realized that even top professional have thier doubts but they use it to their advantage.

In essence, self-doubt is not the problem, it is how you react to it that matters. It is a good thing if it drives you to improve and experiment.

I've always found that "angst" and "fear" are great motivators. Actually, Angst and Fear are my parole officers...Sorry, I can never resist a stupid joke.

At any rate, too much self-doubt can cause paralysis and no output. However, I think always questioning (doubting) the quality of your own work will generally lead to a better result. Certainly, many notable artists have been racked with self-doubt...Pollack, Elsworth Kelly to name just two.

Keith wrote<p>

<i>Is the turmoil of self-doubt destructive to or essential for the creative process?</i><p>

Self-doubt is destructive to the person but challenging one's self is good.<p>

Self-doubt stems from a lack of security in one's self and is the product of low self-esteem. Low self-esteem is bad and is the leading cause of suicide. One needs to deal with the issues that creates this personal self-doubt to help them become emotionally stable or healthy.<p>

As to it being an essential part of the creative process? What that, to me is saying is, only those that are screwed up in the head can be creative and those that are stable, secure and without angst in their life will have problems with the creative process:) I don't think so. :)<p>

So, although self-doubt may lend itself to the creative process in that the insecurities and self-doubt will be borne out or reflected in the images created, it's not a necessary ingredient of the creative process.<p>

Thomas said it well.

To ask myself how my work can be improved has nothing to do with self-doubt.

Self-doubt is destructive because it does not add any quality.

Destruction may be necesarry at times but self-doubt is not like a purifing fire, it is more like a sort of cancer, uncontrolable not distinguishing between the good and the bad.

The best way I have found to >check< myself and the creative process is to get calm, detached and tranquil mixed with a good portion of serenity.

�..and I believe <b>laban</b> means freedom fighter or street fighter in the Philippines. Here in the UK a <b>Bee</b> is just an irritating insect and <b>Flowers</b> are very pretty but don�t last very long. Don�t take the piss out of someone�s name unless your own is beyond reproach.<p>Bee, this is not my thread, it�s my question. My perspective, well I�ve experienced the turmoil as an illustrator but not as a photographer and have to say that it <b>was</b> fcuking destructive, I wouldn�t recommend anyone goes there. A modicum of self-doubt or questioning is an aid to creativity, just don�t let it take over. How about your perspective Bee?

I used to really believe that self-doubt was essential, but now I'm not so sure...

Maybe the sensitive creative person is angst ridden as a result of the same sensitivity that allows them to be creative in the first place. Maybe the self-doubt is unavoidable, because it is caused by the discrepancy between what is imagined and what is realized, and if you're imagination is worth a damn, then you'll likely never see it 100% outside yourself, and so are you then a hack, or what, not to mention that now your real and unfiltered voice is trapped inside your corporeal prison (without which, ironically, the real and unfiltered voice could not possibly exist), and no one at all will ever hear you the way you sound to yourself, and is it because you're not all that great after all, or is that just the way it is, and either way it still sucks. Maybe the tortured artist character is projected by society, which society generally needs those with talent or will to have some tragic flaw, so that "Yeah, that guy can write/sing/draw/paint/hit home runs, but he's crazy/stupid/addicted." Maybe self-doubt is a check against grandiosity, because the creative person would rather be seen as sensitive and creative - instead of megalomaniacal - and then that self-consciousness could itself be a kind of self-doubt.

I guess I really don't know. At least I'm pretty sure (that I guess I really don't know), anyway.

No Bee, you did not merely translate a word someone else used, you inferred that Allen was using Kaban as a derogatory comment. I�ve no idea if he was or not but would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt because I�m a trusting sort of fellow and because the K key is next to the L key ;-)<p>Are you now accusing me of being a terrorist?