Selection of Mamiya RZ67 "System" for Port., Land. & Macro...

r_scott_steube

I know the RZ67 is a real tank (heavy), but then again I've got XL

hands and I weigh 250lbs... Besides, I'm planning on 98% tripod

shooting with this system. So, what I'm after is to expand my

photography into location portraits, landscapes & macros. I'll be

purchasing the "Value Pac" with Mamiya's 110mm f/2.8 W lens. Other

must have lenses (limit 2)..? Accessories..? Support equipment..?

Any words of praise (or of warning from recent experience) on this

system..? Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated!

A couple of years ago I purchased a Mamiya RZ system. Mamiya was offering rebates on various lenses, meter finders etc.

I'd suggest in addition to the 110mm lens, a 50mm and 250mm lens. A reflex prism finder..the AE meter finder is really nice, 2 additional 120 film backs for a total of 3 film backs if you plan on zone system B/W work or just want to shoot color trans, color neg and B/W at the same time And the professional bellows lens shade. Mamiya also has a nice focus magnifyer for their prism finders. A Polaroid back is a good thing too.

Put all of this equipment in a large Pelican case and you won't have to pump iron anymore. #8^)

You'll love the RZ it's a great camera !

Last year I added a Kodak ProBack Plus digital back with the Kapture Group Mamiya adapter. But that's another story.

The RZ is a great camera system, and it is even more versatile and easy to manage if you're a big guy (I'm one too).

Recommendations? I have the 180mm/4.5 lens and love it for portraits. For landscape and macro on a tripod, I highly recommend the unique Mamiya dual cable release, which will eliminate vibration from that huge mirror. The AE prism finder is great too (although heavy), if you prefer a laterally correct view.

I have a mint condition Mamiya RZ kit with all of the above and more for sale (http://www.photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=515060). Unfortunately, due to a job change I don't have much time for photography, so have decided to sell. If you're interested, contact me at jardincito@yahoo.com.

Whoever you buy from, you'll be very happy with an RZ. Great camera.

The RZ is an increadibly wonderful camera. The lenses are

some of the best glass around due to the fact that the elements

remain stationary and focusing is via a bellows (no

compromises to allow for moving elements like in other lens

groups).

All the suggestions made here are good ones. The 210 and 250

APO lenses are well worth the $. One consideration would be to

investigate the SB lenses. I think there is a 75mm and a 180 SB

which are short bodied and use a SB spacer to make them

normal focussing to infinity...but retain their focal length when

placed on the Mamiya shift unit .

I second the suggestion for the pro shade. I'm always surprised by how many people never bother with a decent lens shade. It's definitely worth the investment. Also, the 180mm seems to be just about perfect as far as I'm concerned for portrait work. Long enough for good flattering effect, but not so long that you're standing 15' from the subject like with the 250mm. If you're going to be using strobes on location, invest in a set of PocketWizard radio triggers. These cameras are big and troublesome enough to move around on their own, without being tied to a strobe pack with a sync cord.

Scott,

Welcome - I love my RZ, I do a lot of hiking around with it and have no issues with the weight (well, maybe at times after a long hike). Anyway, to your question, I do landscapes only so can only speak to that, but wouldn't be without my 50mm lens. If your limiting to two lenses and already have the 110, I'd add the 50. This lens is great for getting those shots with a dramatic depth perspective: someting of interest in the foreground, receding to infinity. The 65 is close and would do just as well. These are not so great for portraits though, so I guess you'll have to make some choices.

For macros you might consider the extension tubes - used they aren't too expensive. I second the extra back and prism reccomendations (even more weight). Also second the lens hood, though you can get by with the standard hoods for each lens if you want. Forget the y cable, just use two cable releases.