Sekonic L508 dead

tom_bowling1664874721

<p>I have had a Sekonic L508 from new - probably 6 or 7 years. I never treated it roughly, never got it damp, always kept it in a case in a camera bag. Just recently it showed the E5 fault code mid reading. I sent it to the official Sekonic British repair facility who replied in a handwritten scrappy note 'Owing to a recent announcement by Sekonic parts are not available.' So that's it - hundreds of pounds out and no way to service. I'll have to replace it - but it won't be with a Sekonic! So who's spotmeter doesn't break?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So whose spotmeter doesn't break?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Everything breaks.</p>

<p>Entropy is the nature of the universe.</p>

<p>Try buying another one used on eBay. Maybe you'll get another 6 or 7 years out of it. Someone right now has one with a damaged dial for a BIN of under $100. I doubt you could have had a repair any cheaper.</p>

<p>I suspect that the 501 was discontinued a little more than 6/7 years ago as there have been several incarnations since and I bought my first in 1999. I recently sold both my 508 meters on eBay in UK, and still got a decent price for them. In a dozen years with usage split between the two I had one breakdown. Since I probably meter ten times for every exposure- not to mention for a number of shots I decided not to take, I reckon that these two meters clocked up well over a half million actuations between them. I think thats pretty good, especially in the context that I thn sold them for maybe a third of what I paid new. So I reckon Sekonic did OK for me, and if there isn't a way of getting parts ( even though I think the succeeding 601 will share some components) for a product they discontinued at least several years ago then I guess I understand. Frankly on most domestic powered items I think that most people regard any repair as being potentially uneconomic outside warranty, and if so then you can't expect manufacturers to keep up a repair facility that few people are going to use. </p>

<p>So, sorry you meter broke, but for myself, in the unlikely event that I go back to external metering, I'd likely buy a Sekonic.</p>

<p>I don't think I have the Silicon Blue Cell. I have a European Lunasix 3, which has a grey body, took mercury batteries (got the converter) and had goodness knows what kind of light sensitive cell. CDs I expect. It isn't specified on the meter. 9A00121 is the number, in case anyone is an expert. Anyway, mooching around info on line, I'm by no means certain the spot attachment will work with my Luna Pro. Nice idea, though.</p>

<p>Tom, yours might be like <a href="http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/gossen%20spot.html">this one</a> (shows attachment)? <a href="http://www.myphotoweb.com/Gossen/">Gossen's naming </a>is very confusing since they use different names in different markets and tend to reuse the same wordlets ("six", "luna", etc.) in many models.</p>

<p>The Lunasix 3 appears to have little green and red markings on the lower (yellow) part of the dial for compensation when using the 7.5 and 15-degree spot attachement.</p>

The LunaSix 3 is indeed a CdS meter, and will (!) take the "Tele" (as the variable angle attachment is called everywhere except the U.S.) attachment. To keep it in style, the early grey plastic version would be preferable over the later black ones.<br>There's also a true spot attachment for the ProfiSix (as the LunaPro SBC is properly called - the exception again being the U.S. - the importer, Bogen, is to blame for the confusion caused by renaming all that stuff) and MasterSix, called "Spot", which is a fair deal bigger than the "Tele" attachment and offers a 1 degree spot. It plugs into the meter, instead of merely being attached to the front of it.<br>Gossen's Big Spot meter is the SpotMaster (and SpotMaster 2). One of the finest spotmeters ever made. But with a huge appetite for (9V) batteries.<br>Later, a bit after Sekonic presented theirs, came the Gossen do-it-all meters. Never used one of those.

<p>Thanks for advice all. I bought a second hand but perfect Pentax Digital Spotmeter as a replacement. I thought the Pentax was more likely to be repairable if it went wrong in the long run. I was unimpressed by Sekonic's attitude.<br>

I've tried the spot and it works fine. But it seems to read a stop under my Lunasix on a grey card. Now I know a 1 deg spot and a relatively simple reflective meter is comparing apples and oranges, but I wonder what might account for the discrepancy. I'm not bothered by the discrepancy by the way - my experience is that you get used to a meter and accomodate it, as long as its quirks are consistent.</p>