Seeking Monterey CA, Moss Landing advice

joe_austin1

<p>I am heading for the Monterey, CA area in a couple of weeks for wildlife photography. So far I am planning to visit Moss Landing, Elkhorn slough, Monterey Wharf and aquarium as well as the coast highway down to San Simeon for Elephant Seals.<br /> <br /> I posted an inquiry a couple of years ago (a trip that never happened) and got some great advice that I am hoping to update. Any advice on current wildlife conditions/hotspots, or specific places to search out at Moss Landing or Elkhorn Slough would be appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Joe</p>

<p>Be aware that Highway 1 (the coast highway) is closed in both directions between Pt. Lobos and Big Sur until further notice (maybe June).</p>

<p>So you will <strong>not</strong> be able to drive from Monterey to San Simeon on that route, and using the alternate adds several hours of travel time because you must go either over the Santa Lucia mountains or around.</p>

<p>Moss Landing/Elkhorn Slough is small enough that you'll be able to see all of it if you try. Consider renting a kayak to paddle up the slough for close up views of Sea Otter and Harbor Seals.</p>

<p>Don't miss Pt. Lobos State Park. Lots of restrictions and not many open hours so plan carefully.</p>

<p>Don't expect sunny mornings. The overcast doesn't burn off much before noon in May/June.<br>

<Chas></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Joe,</p>

<p>I mentioned to another poster just the other day that California 1, one of the most beautiful drives in the world, is closed due to recent landslide activity. You can check road conditions through CalTrans here:<br>

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roadscell.cgi</p>

<p>Monterey is beautiful and easy to get to from SFO, SJC or OAK if you're flying and some short-hop puddle jumpers do fly into Monterey airport.</p>

<p>You can access the southern cities such as San Simeon and Cambria also, but presently you'd need to get there by using US 101 to CA 46 over to the coast...a long detour, but incredible country on CA46 after you get off US 101. My wife and I go there at least once a year depending on room prices around Cambria because Paso Robles and the surrounding area are home to a number of wineries that produce "big reds" in smaller lots than what you see in most liquor stores.</p>

<p>Shoot me an email offline if you need more info.</p>

<p>TH</p>

<p>Joe, I just checked and they don't really give a firm timeline for repairs. When you can finally get there and see the formidable task that they're up against you'll understand. The area is rustic and very geologically unstable by nature. Over the years there have been house-sized chunks of CA-1 that have fallen into the pacific but no casualties yet that I know of.</p>

<p>There's a pic and a map in this article from last month:<br>

http://www.mercurynews.com/central-coast/ci_17632167?nclick_check=1</p>

<p>Seems to me that elephant seals will be pretty much gone now, though there may be some weaners left. See the Ano Nuevo State Reserve for information about another area north of Santa Cruz. That's also a good area for birds, other critters, and wildflowers in the spring.</p>

<p>We Californians are as much in the dark regarding CalTrans work as someone from Timbuktu. They're struggling to remain vital in an age and in a state with severe budget shortfalls. Their current Achilles Heel is probably the New Bay Bridge, a multi-billion dollar boondoggle using so many layers of contractors overseeing other contractors who are subcontracting other contract services....well you can see where this is going. Every layer of contracting wants to make a profit, maybe 20 percent. Aaaarrgh.</p>

<p>The running joke in the past was "What's orange and sleeps eight comfortably?" Answer was.....CalTrans van.....</p>

<p>It seems there has been an opening of one lane at the Rocky Creek closure with alternating traffic.<br>

How about Nacimiento-Ferguson road through Fort Hunter Liggett as a means of exiting the coast road and continuing on Hwy101 on to Cambria? I understand that Nacimiento-Ferguson is paved and maintained, but the road net throught the fort looks confusing on google maps. Will I be able to navigate by road signs through the fort?</p>

<p>The Tour of California bike race is scheduled to travel down the coast in about a month. From what I read yesterday they are in talks with CalTrans to confirm and reroute the stage. A decision will be made in a week. I doubt the highway will be reopened within a couple of weeks. <br>

<a href="http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landslides-could-re-route-amgen-tour-of-california">http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landslides-could-re-route-amgen-tour-of-california</a></p>

<p>As mentioned above, I think it's too late for the elephant seals.</p>

<p>Here's a link for the elephant seals at Piedras Blancas - near San Simeon. If 1 is closed, it is a long drive around and rates in the Cambria/San Simeon area may reflect the reduced through traffic (but it's not an impossible weekend from L.A. so weekend rates may not drop as much).</p>

<p>http://www.elephantseal.org/</p>

<p>I can understand the ongoing problems on 1 through there. It's a rugged area there is always construction in progress. I've never tried the Hunter-Ligget roads so not sure they are a good option.</p>

<p>About 4 miles south of Point Lobos on Highway 1 is Garrapata State Beach. Across the highway from the beach is the Soberanes Canyon and Rocky Ridge trail. It is a 7 mile round trip hike with a 1200 foot elevation gain. It climbs through the redwoods and up to Rocky Ridge overlooking the Pacific with sweeping vistas of the Santa Lucia mountains. The wildflowers should be in full bloom in a couple of weeks.</p><div>00Yc3K-350915584.jpg.e56f53d500524c5f8617a4711ed1fcbb.jpg</div>