Seeking Canon EF Camera Information

Discussion in 'Canon FD' started by timwitt, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Neither of those two will fit the EF. The threaded tripod receptacle is just about dead center of the base plate on the EF. On the F1 and FTb they are offset and located even with the center of the lens mount. I don't believe that there was one made for the EF. It's not listed in the owners manual.
  2. It seems to me that, given the EF's intended audience, an eveready case would have been made for it -- and one of the leather ones, too. Not the pressed paper stuff that deteriorates over time. But given the EF's relatively low production numbers, perhaps these cases are rare.

I have three EFs, none of which came to me with a case. Serial numbers and date codes are:

235545 / O1114 (November, 1974)
    299413 / Has film in it.
    392118 / Q1131 (November, 1976)

I've always just liked the looks of the EF -- it's one of Canon's most handsome cameras, IMO. But I've never been a big fan of its metering method, which is pretty much the same as the AE-1's, AE-1P's, and A-1's. Centerweighted with a slight lower than center emphasis. This type of metering method is fine for general photography using print film. But if one is shooting slides, one must be continually vigilant with respect to light sources within the frame. Strong light sources will cause the camera to stop the lens down too far (when shooting in Shutter Priority), or the meter will indicate too small of an aperture when shooting in manual mode.

It is for this reason why I have always preferred the FTb and original F-1, which meters only within a 12% rectangle, visible on the focusing screen. Because metering occurs only within this rectangle, it is possible to position it, or move it around to average a scene, such that correct exposure can be obtained, which is crucial when shooting with slide film.

I can only assume that Canon decided on the averaging meter because of the Shutter Priority mode. To me, this has always been an erroneous decision on their part. Both the EF and all the A-series cameras would have benefited greatly if Canon would have stayed true to a partial metering method. They did finally realize its importance when they developed the T70. It's partial metering pattern is one of the big reasons why I really like the T70 a lot. More than my A-1 in fact.

Nonetheless, I remain a big fan of the EF for lots of other reasons. Not the least of which is it is simply a pleasure to look at.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Hiya,
    It looks like there was an eveready case for EF, there is one camera and case ( although very tatty) for sale on eBay. Auction number is 122926040313
  4. A solution for the eveready case could be the case for the New F-1 called N.F-1 S. It fits the New F-1 (but not with the AE finder), the original F-1 and the EF like a glove. It’s secret is that it doesn’t have a tripod receptacle, making life much easier. I happen to own one, it still looks like new with no deterioration as some other cases have. Oh yeah, the interior is dressed with lush black velvet...
  5. EF - s/n: 261184, 02/1975, microprism only