Seeking a bit more knowledge - Scanning 35mm vs Digitizing - month+ of research but hesitant buyer

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by Zepher, Oct 6, 2020.

1. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Not very well... Sorry.
    I've been using Sliverfast and way too many scanner drivers for decades (where is LinoColor driving a good drum scanner when you need it)? Not all products and users are equal.
    I have no dog in this fight, scanner or camera, whatever works best for you and again, the lens in a good Imacon scanner (Rodenstock) probably cost more than an entire Nikon scanner, and that's not even taking into account the scanning software (negs are tough) and the user running it.

Mary Doo likes this.
  2. Good for you. hwvr, please stop insisting that your ES-2 one-by-one method is superior to the quality and speed of LS-5000 (which you never tried) as you did. I have been insistent only because some people read these forums for advice. I have no desire to "win" a "fight". What for?

3. That sounds like a complete cop-out to me.
    Or "I can't be bothered to illustrate my point-of-view with any actual pictures". Words is easy. Visual evidence - that takes a bit more effort.

4. LOL. I understand you love to do this type of "tests" with your snapshots. I on the other hand, prefer comprehensive tests by qualified professionals. It takes much thought, time, and skills to complete a reliable test. I simply have no interest to specialize in this type of tasks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    inoneeye likes this.
  5. I question whether it qualifies as sound advice to purchase a used LS-5000, discontinued in 2007 along with its operating software, with no available parts, no factory service, and often hard to find accessories which automate the scanning process.

On the other hand the same task can be accomplished with a digital camera, closeup lens, and a film holder or copy stand. In this age nearly everyone interested in photography has a digital camera, and could purchase and assemble a kit equivalent to the LS-5000 at the same cost or less, and have a future-proof setup. With a modicum of care and manual dexterity, the process is fast and effective.

6. The same way I questioned your assertions, when you have not even had any experience with the LS-5000? As mentioned multiple times, LS-4000 is a lower model, yet time and again you used it to justify your contention.

Ultimately it's up to the user to decide his/her need and want, such as how many slides are involved and how much time and care one wishes to dispense, how much to spend and, more importantly, the level of quality one would be happy with.

If there is volume and quality and ease are desired, LS-5000 is surely the front-runner. I cited Thom Hogan's review - but at this point I am not sure if you cared to read it at all. Here it is again. Coolscan 5000 Review | byThom Filmbodies | Thom Hogan

If you still think your advice and knowledge (without credible proof) is better than his - which supports others' experience with LS-5000, then I have no word. Ed, I remember you gave excellent advices on video production and drones, but you seem stuck on this one. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  7. This thread was intended to simply be a compendium of all the different means by which a film-image could be digitised. There are pros and cons to all of the methods in terms of convenience, quality, availability and cost.

In this context a statement like -
    is quite contentious, and certainly adds no hard information, nor an unbiased view of said equipment.

That others have jumped in with an attempt to point out the drawbacks is in no way 'amateurish'. Neither was it meant to create a fight.

The cons of the LS5000 are its slowness on a per-frame basis, its cost and the fact that it's an obsolete piece of equipment. Nobody needs to own one to find that out.

The pro points are that it can work unattended and that it provides 'better quality', but no results have been shown to support that.

What's 'amateurish', is to make a claim of superior quality with no supporting evidence. Surely it costs little (certainly less than the time wasted on posting thus far) to post an example? Snapshot or masterpiece.

8. The review by Thom Hogan was written in 2013, 8 years ago. In photography, that can be expressed in terms of "doggie years." It really doesn't matter how good or convenient a device is if it is no longer manufactured nor supported by Nikon. By all reports the LS-5000 is twice as fast, has a USB interface rather than FireWire of the LS-4000. Otherwise it has the same transport mechanism, the same lens, the same light source, and a slightly improved linear array. There are no attributions of significantly improved results. In it's time the Coolscan had twice the resolution of even high-end digital cameras, and a substantial number of photographers used film. I would spend the better part of three days to render one evening of shooting at an event.

Earlier this year I worked with my son to scan over 250 slides, one at a time, from several Kodak Carousels. The attached image shows 150 of those images, without adjustments, as a contact sheet. The example shows the consistency of the process, using a Sony A7Riii, Nikon 55/2.8 Micro, and ES-1 film holder. The entire set took about 1:45 minutes, including selecting, cleaning, loading and scanning, equivalent to over seven 36 exposure rolls of film. Only a few (about 1%) required dust spotting. None required re-scanning. If you have hundreds or thousands of unscanned (or poorly scanned) images, there are better methods than the legendary (and largely unobtainable) Coolscan film scanners.

In this project, the camera was connected to a high-resolution monitor (Atomos Ninja V) for previewing and focusing. Using the magnification feature of the A7, focusing was on the dye clouds. I used a small Lume Cube panel as the light source. The resolution of 42 MP is largely wasted on film, but better too much than too little.

Lightroom (_DSC0236.ARW and 233 others)_Page_1.jpg

9. Don't have the time or patience to do circular arguments. Good Bye.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021