Security for photographic equipment in Costa Rica

binh_an_vu_van

<p>Hi,<br>

I'll be travelling with a backpack full of gear in Costa Rica. I'm leaving next week. I heard that theft was a big issue in Costa Rica. We are going to travel by bus and with a ticos friend mainly. We will be staying in small rented houses here and there. I'm a woman, but most of the time my husband will help me watch over my things.<br>

I am a bit worried about few things.<br>

1) Can i leave my photographic equipment in the house i rent?<br>

2) Is it safe to open my full kit in town... Like deplying my tripod and lenses and flash to photograph the towns In San José for instance, or in other small towns where we will be?<br>

3) If i want to spend a bit of time without my husband alone... In the forest... Like in Monteverde, or in Rincon de la Vieja, or a long the beach near Malpais... Is it safe to just go alone with all my stuff?<br>

4) does it happen that people will just grab your stuff (camera bag, camera, tripod) while its in your hand?</p>

<p>Thank you!<br>

Anne</p>

<p>Hi Anne,</p>

<p>I have traveled extensively in Costa Rica and here's my opinion (some may disagree). Costa Rica is for the most part very safe, violent crime is almost non existent. Theft is a problem though and I would be uncomfotable leaving gear unattended in a rental house unless it has a safe. In San Jose most problems arise with snatch and grab theft, they grab what they can and run however if your in a well traveled area you will be O.K. Going solo has never been a problem for me but I'm 6'2" and 220 so I tower over most Tico's, You would probablly be alright in Monteverde but I would be leary of the beaches when your alone unless it is a well travelled one. Don't want to freak you out but like anywhere watch your surroundings at all times. That being said Costa Rica is my favorite destination hands down and I have never felt uneasy there. I would highly recommend a visit to the La Paz waterfall gardens near Poas, they have a website and the place is stunning. Last time I was there the park was not built yet and it was undeveloped but I can't imagine they would have over developed it in fact they made some of the falls accesable that had been out of reach. Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>Brad Cole</p>

<p>Just use common sense. We went to Costa Rica three years ago, rented a car and drove to the various regions - we never had a problem, but we were instructed by the rental car company to NEVER leave anything in the car as there was a good chance that the contents would be gone when we'd come back.<br>

We stayed in very remote areas and we never worried about theft at the places we were staying.</p>

<p>Agreed, common sense rules.  I was in CR earlier this year and it sometimes felt like the 51st state so whatever precautions you would use in the US (or Canada) are appropriate.  The exception might be San Jose just due to its urban-ess and the possibility of scooter-driven snatch and grabs but I did not find SJ very photogenic anyway.  SJ is most definitely not the reason to go to Costa Rica!</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your quick answers they were very enlightning. And thank you Brad for your specific advices. And i definitly wanted to visit La Paz, i heard so much good about it!<br>

And i'll use only my small point and shoot in San José.<br>

And for the rental houses, i dont know yet what ill do, since i dont want to carry my heavy stock of photo every day of my holidays... I'll try to find some help and advices with the owners.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Some simple steps:<br>

1) Cut down on the gear.<br>

2) Insure your equipment before you leave.<br>

3) While in country, save all your images to a laptop computer, portable hard drive online storage AND CDs/DVDs if possible. Post the discs home via Fed Ex, UPS or DHL. Latin American post is dodgy at best.<br>

4) Read the following for more information:<br>

<a href="http://www.getoutthemap.net/article_profile.php?ID=24">Protecting Your Photos As You Travel</a><br>

<a href="http://www.getoutthemap.net/article_profile.php?ID=26">Keeping photos organized as you travel</a><br>

<a href="http://www.getoutthemap.net/article_profile.php?ID=12">Five Ways to Store Photos Without a Laptop Computer </a><br>

Plenty more at <a href="http://www.getoutthemap.net">www.GetOutTheMap.net</a><br>

Have fun!<br>

<a href="http://www.getoutthemap.net/article_profile.php?ID=12"></a></p>