Securing digital wedding images, how to?

fotografz

April's recent thread about losing a CF card points up the absolute need to have as fool proof of a

system as possible.

After a friend of mine lost a bunch of critical shots, I reviewed how I go about it more closely and am

willing to share those thoughts, including the pros and cons of each. Perhaps it would benefit the group

if a number of you did the same, since there are a number of ways to go about this.

On the day before, I begin the process by reformatting a set of cards for each different camera. In some

cases with certain cameras I use, there is a possibility of trouble when using the same card in different

cameras. So to avoid this, I dedicate CF cards to specific cameras and mark them on the back of the CF.

Those go into separate wallets, which never leave my person during the shoot. They are placed face up

in their pockets to indicate they are formatted and ready for use. Each wallet is different, so I know

which camera it's for, additional labels can't hurt.

As I shoot, I try not to completely fill a card, and swap them between events at the wedding whether

they are done or not ... just like I still do with film rolls. When I remove a card from the camera I turn it

over and place it in the wallet back side up to indicate it is done. I then put the new card in, and if

there is time, I hit the camera's review button to be SURE there are no images on it.

The following is strictly opinion based on bad experiences of others (as well a close calls of my own), a

deep sense of personal responsibility for shooting a one time/one chance event, and a healthy dose of

paranoia fueled by skepticism when it comes to digital technology.

I will not shoot any critical portion of a wedding with a single card camera. Every shot of this type is

done with a dual card EOS 1 series camera loaded with 4 gig CF and SDHC cards ... or with a MF digital

camera that shoots to a CF card and a 1000 shot Image Bank at the same time. I'd rather shoot critical

"must have" shots with an older EOS 1 series DSLR and 2 cards, than with a new, single card 5D. Just my

opinion. I do use a single card 5D as well as a single card Leica M8, but never for must have shots.

The exception to the above would be if I had a second shooter backing up every critical shot ... but

even then, I'd use the dual card Series 1 Canon DSLRs ... (revealing the depth of my paranoia : -).

I do not use a portable hard drive to load to while shooting. I usually don't have time, and for me it's

another step in a process where a mistake can be made ... but most importantly I tried it, and had one

fail on me taking the CF card in with it ... which a recovery program helped salvaged. As my IT adviser

says, "there are 2 types of Hard Drives, ones that fail, and ones that are going to fail."

Card size is a much debated subject. I currently am limited to 4 gig cards in the dual card Canons

because that is the biggest compatible matching SDHC card capacity of the same make and write

speed. I use a 12 gig CF in the MF digital back, but it is all relative since each RAW file is 39 meg. I use

a 8 gig card in the 5D and never remove it until download time back at the studio.

Your thoughts?

I don't have much advice here, but thanks for the insite Marc.

Here is my method...

The day before the wedding I reformat all my CF cards. I keep them stored in a zippered pouch worn around my waist. When I insert a new card, I Always check to make sure it is empty. When I am finished with my card, I put it in a seperate zippered pocket in my pouch worn around my waist.

I use 1 gig to 4 gig cards, saving the 4 gig for the reception dancing. I use the 1 and 2 gigs for formals and ceremony. That way if there is card failure, not every thing is lost.

I shoot with two cameras, one with a wide angle and one with a zoom. I make sure I get images on both cameras from everything. My assistant shoots along with me.

The more I think about it.... I need to be a little more careful on group shots. I typically don't shoot with my zoom lens, and my assistant is usually grabbing candids at this time. So, I don't have a two camera back up system for these.

After I get home I download onto my computer. I back up to two sets of DVD's. I don't erase my cards until I have 3 copies... one on my computer, and two sets of dvd's. I take one set of DVD's to a second location incase of fire.

Marc:

I agree with some of what was said in that post made by April. I disagree with removing the MC's at all to either change them or dump them to some other storage gaget unless it's absolutely necessary.

As I stated in that previous post, I put all of my MC in a hard MC cases, which hold 4 MC's, and number them just incase I would have to change one. All of my empty MC's are face up with the brand name showing. If I have to change one, I put it back in the hard case face down so the back of the MC is showing so that I know it was used.

This is how I do it: I use 3 camera's for a wedding. My main camera (5D & 70-200mm 2.8L IS lens) is loaded with an 8GB MC, and is used for specific shots. The other camera (20D & 24-70mm 2.8L lens) I carry in a shoulder bag is loaded with a 4GB MC, and is used for other types of shots. The third camera (20D & 28-135mm IS lense) is carried by an assistant (my wife), loaded with a 4GB MC, who walks around and gets various shots of wedding party, guests etc.

Between the 3-camera's, we capture many images, and I do not remove the MC's from camera until I get home. Then, the used MC's are placed in hard MC case with back showing, as stated above. I take them to my studio, load onto computer and back the RAW files up onto a DVD. Once I have varified that all has been done correctly, I remove images from MC, format and am ready for the next session. I have a total of 3-8GB cards / 2-4GB cards / 2-2GB cards / 4-1GB cards. The others are used for when I have another photo session scheduled before I am able to load & back up wedding or what ever. Works great for me.

Jeff

Jeff, I agree with not removing a CF card if at all possible. I do so with the 1DsMKII cards

only because 4 gig is the largest dual card format currently available. When SDHC cards go

to 8 gig, I'll use those and probably not have to remove them. I don't change the CF in the

5D. I have to in the Leica M8, at least until the firmware is updated to accept 4 gig SDHC

cards.

The idea of numbering the cards is a good one ... like 1DsMKII#1,#2, 5D#1,#2, etc.

Another habit I have is if the camera has a hicup, and has to be rebooted, I also swap

cards then just in case.

One last thing is that I've got enough CFs to shoot two full weddings and then some, so I

don't have to reformat cards until I am completely done with processing a wedding.

<p>SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) is a new type of SD (Secure Digital) card that

allows capacities in excess of 2GB (4GB to 32GB).</p>

<p>See: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC">http://

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC</a></p>

<p>They're NOT backwards compatible with normal SD cards and require a special card

reader in order for your computer to read them. SDHC cards also <em>only work with

certain

cameras</em> that support SDHC memory. For example, the Nikon D80 takes SDHC

while the

D50 supports only SD.</p>

<p>Check the user manual of your camera or the manufacturer's Web site to see if your

camera can support SDHC cards.</p>

I pre-format all of my cards. They go into a zippered card holder, that stays on me. Once one is used it goes into the zippered holder, upside down, and the next one is pulled out and inserted. If for some reason I messed up my order or didn't put one in upside down, if it has pictures on it, I DO NOT FORMAT at the wedding. Grab a different card.

No problems yet. I have two card holders. Takes about 30 seconds, or less, to swap cards and securely have the used ones in place.

Once I get home I download. Copy on to CD/DVD, copy to external hard drive, and leave one copy on my computers hard drive. Once I confirm all three are securely copied I can safely put the cards back into commission.

-Two cameras 17-55 and 70-200 (fisheye exchange at reception)

-2 4 gig cards (70-200 camera never fills up)

-2 empty 4 gig formated cards in my front pocket (more in my case)

-full cards go in my back pocket

If I am robbed - case, car stollen/carjacked - the cards are on me

I keep track of my cards and keep them on my person. Haven't lost one yet. I also learned during my film days shooting with other studios to number each roll of film and have a system to insure their safety...a loss of one roll of film could result in the loss of the full day's pay in covering the wedding.

As an extra step toward securing my images, I dump the CF cards into a FlashtraxXT during the day. It doesn't take any more time and attention to do this as it would to change a lens on my camera...less than a minute. The Flashtrax is small enough to fit in my jacket pocket. Now I've got the images on the CF card and a backup copy on the Flashtrax.

To fully secure your weddings, consider having backup edits outside of your physical studio or home. For me, smugmug not only provides a storefront for selling reprints, it's also a safety net in the event that my home-studio was destroyed by fire, flood, tornado, etc...

Good responses so far, only thing I can add is a question: why do you feel the need to lug so much equipment? Seems to me like you could steamline your workflow, take out a potential source of error (as you mentioned, "there is a possibility of trouble when using the same card in different cameras") and decrease the risk of equipment loss/theft by simplifying a little bit. Unless the client has very special and specific needs/requests, I can't see any reason why you can't cover an entire wedding, from PJ to formals, with a couple of 1Ds MkII's.

<p>There's nothing the 1D can't do that the M8 can (as with anyone who has seen James Nachtwey at work, I don't buy into the notion that you "need" a Leica to be unobtrusive) and unless the client wants wall-sized enlargements in his/her home that feature crisp and detailed nose hairs, 16.7 MP should be plenty.

<p>Anyway I just think that a bit of paring down of the unnecessary and extraneous would go a long way in heading off at least a few potential sources of disaster.

I use specific MC's in specific camera's. Example: My 8GB cards only go into my 5D. My 2-4GB cards go into my 20D's. I still have a 10D that I like to use as a "walk around" camera, and my 1GB cards are used in it. Therefore, my cards are not passed from camera to camera.

I keep my backed up files in a safe at my home, away from the studio just incase. I am in process of selling my studio (older building) and I want to build a new studio next to my home in the country. As far as security for me goes: Backed up files are kept in a fire/flood proof gun safe; home security system with fire alert; German Shepard and a Glock with permit to carry. Being 6'2" / 225 lbs doesn't exactly make me an easy looking target either, and I have been in some not so secure areas, so I don't worry much about being robbed. I also tote a Pellican hard/water proof/lockable case to my weddings too, which I either stash within eye sight in the back of the church, or ask the officiant if there's some safe place to store it, still keeping an eye on it, or the room where it's stored.

Has anyone here been robbed or had items stolen before?

Jeff

I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread.

"Perhaps this is a good opportunity to talk about CF card security. We have dumping into portable hard drives, labeling and offering a reward on the card itself, counting cards before leaving, always having the cards on your person in a secure pouch (that won't fall off or come undone), and CF card management procedures. I also heard of a photographer that had his wife sew a special hidden pocket in his tux pants leg. He would put all of the cards (including the one in the camera at the end of the day) into the pocket before walking to his car to go home. This is so that if he was robbed on the way to the car, the CF cards would still be on him and would be overlooked by the thief." This latter is especially important for people who only use one or maybe two large capacity cards in their cameras. If the camera gets stolen, all of your files are gone.

I also dump cards into a Wolverine MVP during the shoot. I don't always do it, but I agree with David that it doesn't take long because I insert the card into the unit, get it copying, put it back into my belt pouch and go on working. If I don't do it during the event, I do it when I get home, in addition to downloading onto the computer and making back-ups, both redundant on another hard drive and DVD. The nice thing about this is that the unit copies the card exactly, so if something is missed in the computer downloading process, it is still there on the portable copy of the card.

Jeffry--yes, I have had a case of gear stolen. I've told the story many times on this forum, so I won't bore everyone with it yet again. As far as relevance to this thread, I was using film, and lost one roll of exposed film. At the time, I carried all film on me but the lost roll was in my second camera, which I used for no flash shots during the ceremony. I was using medium format, so it was a roll of 12 frames. Imagine if it was a full, large capacity card.

T feel that as long as we all "worry" about our equipment the lower the risk of having something bad happen. It's when we take things for granted, and lower our guard, that something gets lost, broke or stolen. Not to say that it will never happen even when we watch, but it's less likely when we are more aware. It's my nature to feel that the worst can and will happen, so I am constantly aware and fearful that something will go wrong, but very releived once I am home and had a photo shoot go smoothly. I feel that by being as prepared as possible with equipment, and in thought, that we can over come. Hope that makes sense! Just how I think.

El fang, based on your post it seems you jumped to the conclusion that I take all that gear

to all weddings, which I don't. I pick and choose based on the circumstances ... it's usually

all contained in one medium sized rolling bag.

As to what specific gear I prefer, that is strictly my business, not yours... and I don't have a

memory card security issue because of the precautions I listed above.

Mike, thanks for the link to the SDHC 8 gig cards. I was aware of them, but am waiting for

the San Disk version at the same write speed as my San Disk CF cards.

When is enough... enough? Does the cost of being a digital wedding photographer ever stop?

An potable backup is on my list of future gear purchases.

Everytime I turn around, it's another gadget from portable HD, external HD, dual card bodies, software, on top of insurance, business liscense etc...

For me, given all it's blessings, digital is really a burden in many ways.

Well the insurance and business licenses are necessary if you are a film wedding photographer. As for the portable hard drive and dual card cameras, I wouldn't call them necessities. And computer gear and software has always been a money eater ever since digital started being used. The thing is, just like choosing lenses, everyone has to examine their own shooting routines and determine their comfort level as to how far and how much money they want to spend on memory card security. You can do many things to tighten up your procedures without spending money. As an example--I personally wouldn't put any cards, empty or full, in my pockets. Not criticizing Steve, who said he does--I just know that it wouldn't work for me. Used to do that with film rolls, and had a time where one fell out of my pocket, despite the fact that I am generally very careful and deliberate about film handling. After that, I got myself a Lowepro Film Drop pouch.

Enough is enough when the only one making any money off this is B&H : -)

The last wedding we shot (first one of the year) has turned out to be a money pit. The

client had so many must haves that the math of it is staggering ... then we went and

overshot it on top of that ( the digital disease ? )... and worse yet almost nothing was

obvious fodder for the trash heap ... so much for ruthless editing ... LOL. It ended up that

putting all the files on a Hard Drive was easier and not much more expensive than burning

DVDs for a month of Sundays.

In short, it seems to never end.

I'll parrot my own assertion that if it were not for commercial photography funding this

endless stream of digital gear, I'd have stuck with film. A Nikon F6 and Leica M back-up

along with a Hasselblad 503CW for formals and portraits. Done.

I shoot with a 8gB card in my D200 (gives approx 500 RAW shots) and my assistant has 2 D70s each with a 4gB (gives her approx 400 on each camera). We don't usually have to change cards. If we do we take a new one (formatted before the wedding) from the pelican case and put it in the camera. The full one goes in to end pocket (zippered) of the other camera case.

The thing is, having all your shots on one card is a risk, but physically losing a card or getting muddled and accidently formatting is a much bigger risk in my opinion.

<i>"El fang, based on your post it seems you jumped to the conclusion that I take all that gear to all weddings, which I don't."</i>

<p>You said yourself in the original post: "On the day before, I begin the process by reformatting <b>a set of cards for each different camera.</b> In some cases with certain cameras I use, there is a possibility of trouble when using the same card in different cameras. So to avoid this, I dedicate CF cards to specific cameras and mark them on the back of the CF." I apologize if I misunderstood that to mean you take so many cameras that you actually need this "security system" to prevent you from screwing things up.

<p><i>"As to what specific gear I prefer, that is strictly my business, not yours... "</i>

<p>A bit defensive/touchy aren't we ;-) I was simply making the observation that the more gear you carry, the more likely you are to run into some of the problems you mention. Feel free to disagree with that, but as you said in your original post:

<p><i>"Your thoughts?"</i>

<p>And I'm doing just that, offering my thoughts so don't get your knickers up in a knot =)

<p><i>"and I don't have a memory card security issue because of the precautions I listed above."</i>

<p>Perhaps not yet, but you sure are asking for it =) =)

<i>"I'll parrot my own assertion that if it were not for commercial photography funding this endless stream of digital gear, I'd have stuck with film. A Nikon F6 and Leica M back-up along with a Hasselblad 503CW for formals and portraits. Done."</i>

<p>For weddings? One 1DsMkII with 24-70/2.8L, second 1DsMkII with 70-200/2.8L IS, 50/1.4 and a flash in the pocket. Done. A stream of digital gear is only endless if you want it to be.

As I said El Fang, ... you jumped to the conclusion, which was incorrect and no amount of

blah, blah, blah changes that.

"Perhaps not yet, but you sure are asking for it =) =)"

Really? Been shooting for 30+ years, 10 of them with digital, didn't screw up the film

count, haven't done it with digital. Simple precautions keep it that way. Might be hard for

you to keep it sorted out, but I don't find it hard at all.

Frankly, I find it odd you insist on making my business your business. My business is

booming, so I think I'll keep doing what I do the way I do it.

Not to steal this thread, but I have to take exception to Robbie Caswell's lament:

"When is enough... enough? Does the cost of being a digital wedding photographer ever stop? . . .For me, given all it's blessings, digital is really a burden in many ways."

Yes, digital equipment is not cheap. But you don't have to buy every new thing that comes along. My cameras are a year-old 5D and a 2-1/2 year-old 20D. My computer is a four-year-old Sony Pentium 4. They're all still doing everything I need them to do.

The real expense that never stops is if you shoot film. Just to shoot ten rolls of 135-36 would cost $320-$350 per wedding for processing, 4x6 proofs, and scans from a good, standard, professional lab such as CPQ. The very cheapest option would be to get low-res scans and no paper proofs, but even that would cost more than $20 per roll, or $200+ per wedding if you shot only ten rolls -- and you would still need high-res scans from many of the images.

I shoot a lot more than that, as do most of us, so figure on $300 to $600 per wedding, every wedding, if you shoot film. THAT is the expense that never stops. If you shoot some or all medium format, it will cost even more.

And if you reply that I only shoot so much because I'm shooting digital -- well, that's the point, isn't it?! I'm shooting more because it's cheaper and I'm giving my clients a larger selection and a better product.

I have all the equipment I need to shoot weddings. But if I want to, I can buy a lot more equipment with the money I'm saving on film and processing. I could get another 5D, for instance, with the film savings from just five or six weddings. Or with the same five or six weddings I could replace my computer with the latest model and a wide-screen monitor. (But I don't need to, so the money goes in my pocket!)

Dave Jenkins

"... larger selection and a better product." More equals better?

IMO your math is off Dave. I did an analysis... the only extra charge for using film is the

cost of the film itself and processing of the film ... the proofs cost the same.

A 20 pack of Fuji 400H 36 exposures is $80 @ B&H. I never shot 20 rolls at a wedding ...

more like 15 rolls for 540 frames ... so film is maybe $60. per wedding. Then the rolls are

$7.00 ea. to process X 15 = $105 ... TOTAL $165. for a busy wedding. So, is sitting in

front of a computer processing 600 shots worth $165.?

The difference between film and digital in terms of cost is that with film you don't spend

the money until you have the paying job ... and the tools to acomplish it are as mature as

they are going to get, while costing a lot less.