Securely Storing Cameras and lenses

charles_badua

<p>Hi,<br>

I wanted to see how everyone stored their gear when they weren't shooting a gig. Also any advise on to store say 3 camera bodies and multiple lenses. I wanted to see what was the best way that was both secure and prevented mold on my lenses. I've looked into safes, gun safes, locking file cabinets, etc. If the safes are a good route, what size seems reasonable? under $500, under $300?<br>

thanks,</p>

<p>I leave my gear in the cases or bags I use to shoot with. I switch things around when I need to. But I don't live in a humid environment and don't really worry about mold too much.</p>

<p>If security is a factor, get a safe. One of my associates uses a large gun safe for his gear. Otherwise locking file cabinets might be a good idea.</p>

<p>One advantage of a large safe is that you can store other items in there as well, like back up disks, other valuables, etc. Humidity is not an issue where I live but I do know that places like Cabela's sell a dehumidifier (Goldenrod) for use in gun safes to reduce the rust problem. I do find that combination locks slow down access so if you want ready access, that kind of lock may prove to be annoying if you need access on a frequent basis. The level of "security" involved will drive up the cost of the storage as you get into heavier materials, more resistance to prying, etc. If you can drill holes into your walls or a concrete floor, various types of screws, expanding bolts, etc., can be used to anchor the container to a stud or to the floor to make it harder to carry off.</p>