Second Shooter

tara_green1

<p>I've just shot my first wedding for a friend and have had quite a lot of positive feedback and have already been asked to shoot another wedding in July 2012. It is for a friend, and because I'm new to wedding photography and not 100% confident in my abilities yet, I will not charge the average rates for wedding photography in the area. With that said, I did find on my first shoot, that I often wished I had a second shooter during the preparations and the ceremony, in case I missed some of "the moments" (I actually did quite well in the end, but the anxiety was always there while I was doing it). Is this something you would recommend? And if so, how does the rights for their photographs work out after the day is done? I would like to have the RAW images to process myself, but would I have the right to access them?</p>

<p>Typically the second shooter shoots for your company, and the photos are the property of your company. In most cases, the primary lets the secondary use them for their portfolio, but a photo credit that includes something like "Joe Photog for ABC Company" (with ABC Company being <em>your</em> company name) is normal. This would all be part of a written contract you have with the second shooter. VERY important.</p>

<p>Two photographers have a better chance at getting the moments than one, but even that isn't a sure way to get everything. You can greatly increase your chances of capturing everything by educating yourself about every aspect of the ceremony and reception, including what the unexpected personal touches the couple is including, might be.</p>

<p>I would say if you can afford to hire experienced 2nd shooter definitely do that. And allow him to shoot independently - except when you actually need him to help you with the lights or reflector or whatever. This way even if you run into a problem due to your lack of experience his/hers shots should cover all important moments. I do think you should still be primary (best way to learn) - but listen to his/hers suggestions and don't be embarrassed to ask for advise if you are struggling. <br>

That does assume you are a good photographer outside of wedding situation as weddings are certainly not the time to learn basics :). Make sure you look up some videos/books on portrait posing and lightining - as I suspect that will be the biggest challenge initially.</p>

<p>Thanks so much guys! I think both ways has it's advantages/disadvantages for sure. It is indeed nice to have the second for help/advice, but juggling where they are and what they're getting may be a little overwhelming as well. I didn't really think about that til now. I think I'll have to take a little time to think through all the angles a little more.</p>